How to change file permissions of ALL FILES included in a folder and its subfolders?

I changed the permissions in the main folder but not a single folder or included file were updated and…

it's for 2387 files!

Thanks for any help :-)

Mac mini

Posted on Nov 4, 2023 3:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2023 7:06 AM

In the Finder, select the main (parent) folder. Then do GetInfo (CMD-I). Unlock the Sharing & Permissions pane. Change privileges as desired. Then click the little gear icon and select Apply to enclosed items.

Be very careful with this, as it WILL change the permissions on EVERY child folder & file.

10 replies

Nov 4, 2023 7:22 AM in response to DLWorldCitizen

You should not be recursively changing permissions (or ownership) of a folder's contents where you personally did not create the folder in question. Not in Finder nor in the Terminal.

And your term "main folder" whether it is your HOME user folder or some other destination could very well require you to perform a clean reinstallation of the operating system and a restore from your Time Machine backup prior to this misadventure.

Nov 4, 2023 1:49 PM in response to VikingOSX

• I'm owner of all of them

• with main folder I mean the one where all 2387 files below should have those permissions.

I've thousands of folders (because I've almost half a million of files) and I'm (also) using the finder as a database.

It were juste those 2387 files which needed to change their permission settings.

besides I don't like Time machine because it eats of enormous amounts of space (especially as, like I do, you need to edit hundredth of files a week).

Dear VikingOSX, don't worry I know exactly what I do. All those files ARE data files and they are all on an ext. HD.

Have a nice weekend :-)

How to change file permissions of ALL FILES included in a folder and its subfolders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.