Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Early 2011 new battery not charging

Hey guys, what´s up!

I need a little help here, but before we talk about the problem i'll walk you through some background info: It's an old early 2011 macbook pro that my uncle gave me because he didn't need it. Computer had no battery but used to work OK with the power adapter.

So the problem came 2 days ago when i got a new generic battery.. i installed it myself, no problem or anything.. it had 72% battery when installed, i started to work with it as usual, and then it suddenly shut off, so i plugged in the computer and surprise! all i got was a green light out of the cable, and the mac saying battery not charging..

I've done pretty much everything with no luck.. SMC reset, PRAM reset, remove and reconnect the battery like 3 times, everywhere i look up on the web says that SMC reset will fix it.. and i feel SMC reset don't do anything... it is starting to get very annoying...

If you know how to fix it, or if i need to change anything let me know.. (BTW all hardware is in good condition.. a.k.a. charger, wires, magsafe port and everything, and the battery is brand new)

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 6, 2019 3:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 8:16 AM

I'm writing this answer for anybody that could have a problem like mine, the issue was fixed by a guy who make circuit repairs and apparently is a known problem of this generation of macbook pro's and had nothing to do with the DC-in board, resetting the SMC, the battery or anything else!

The guy charged me around 40usd for the repair and it is working perfectly fine now!

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2020 8:16 AM in response to jorge269

I'm writing this answer for anybody that could have a problem like mine, the issue was fixed by a guy who make circuit repairs and apparently is a known problem of this generation of macbook pro's and had nothing to do with the DC-in board, resetting the SMC, the battery or anything else!

The guy charged me around 40usd for the repair and it is working perfectly fine now!

Dec 6, 2019 6:14 PM in response to jorge269

Make sure to unplug the charger from the electrical outlet for a minute before plugging it back in. This will reset the chargers internal circuitry. Also try using another electrical outlet.

See if the steps in this Apple Magsafe troubleshooting article help:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203207

If you still have problems, then I suspect you have a defective battery. The quality of third party Lithium-ion batteries is extremely poor even from a reputable vendor such as OWC.

Dec 6, 2019 9:22 PM in response to y_p_w

My uncle gave me the computer, and he told me that previously it had the same problem.. that it wont charge the batteries!

I've tried many different outlets, and 2 different power adapters, one T shaped 60w and another L shaped 85w, both do the same, this is the higher wattage i could get (with the 60w power adapter)

Dec 12, 2019 7:21 AM in response to jorge269

I finally took it with a guy that repairs Macs, and if it works for somebody looking for answers (as i needed, bud didn't find anything) we tested my computer with a set of different batteries and chargers, and this guy told me that it was a known fail on the logic board, he told me there are a few of these things (see the image bellow) like 2 o 3 that are responsible for this kind of errors.

He told me that he would charge me $45usd for the repair.. but currently i have no money, so i'll probably go back to him next year, and i'll come to report back if this gets fixed!

Dec 6, 2019 6:39 PM in response to jorge269

Modern lithium rechargeable batteries can be tricky. It's not simply about charging a bare cell like a NiMH AA. There's a smart battery system with onboard diagnostics and circuitry to communicate with the host device. I believe part of the communications protocol needs to be reverse engineered. It could just be that the system isn't compatible.

Dec 6, 2019 9:25 PM in response to HWTech

i've tried many different outlets and 2 different power adapters, as i have mentioned in the previous comment, but there's something about the SMC that makes me feel it isn't working.. i read that energy settings reset after you do this, and my adjustments are the same that i changed myself..

Also, battery has 30 day warranty, should i go for it?

Dec 7, 2019 3:05 AM in response to jorge269

jorge269 wrote:

there's something about the SMC that makes me feel it isn't working..

Option Boot the laptop and let it sit at the Apple boot picker menu. Perform the SMC reset. It should power off the laptop.

i read that energy settings reset after you do this, and my adjustments are the same that i changed myself..

No, it does not change the macOS Energy Saver preferences although it will remove any selected Startup Disks. After an SMC reset you should choose your Startup Disk again in the Startup Disk System Preferences.

Also, battery has 30 day warranty, should i go for it?

I haven't had very good luck finding good quality third party Lithium-ion batteries. The quality is very hit or miss. I've even had issues with batteries from OWC which normally sells very good products. Finding a good third party battery is so hard that I will opt for a more expensive official Apple if they are still available which unfortunately is not the case for your model laptop. Even Apple has quality issues with Lithium-ion batteries, but at least they seem to be more reliable for the most part. The only vendors I recommend people use to purchase Lithium-ion batteries are either OWC or perhaps iFixIt.com.

My uncle gave me the computer, and he told me that previously it had the same problem.. that it wont charge the batteries!

This could indicate some other hardware issue with either the Magsafe DC-In Board or with the Logic Board. Or you & your uncle have been very unlucky in finding a good battery.

Dec 7, 2019 8:03 AM in response to HWTech

HWTech wrote:

No, it does not change the macOS Energy Saver preferences although it will remove any selected Startup Disks. After an SMC reset you should choose your Startup Disk again in the Startup Disk System Preferences.

Okay, now that tells me that SMC is actually not working... i've tried to do that for about at least 50 times! and none told me to choose the startup disk... I also tried the other thing and it did power off the computer, but just that, i got nothing else :(

I'm starting to think it might be the dc-in board or the logic board :( as nothing works..

I got this generic battery just while i save some money for the original one, it seems there are still a few i can get here.. but i don't want to buy the original one and still have this same issue

Dec 7, 2019 4:37 PM in response to jorge269

jorge269 wrote:

HWTech wrote:

Okay, now that tells me that SMC is actually not working... i've tried to do that for about at least 50 times! and none told me to choose the startup disk...

Actually I might be mistaken that the SMC reset unsets the Startup Disk since I usually combine the SMC reset with a PRAM reset. I think the PRAM reset is what actually unsets the Startup Disk selection. Sorry about the confusion.

I'm starting to think it might be the dc-in board or the logic board :( as nothing works..

I got this generic battery just while i save some money for the original one, it seems there are still a few i can get here.. but i don't want to buy the original one and still have this same issue

This is a tough item to troubleshoot without a known good battery or an original Apple battery. It would be better if you have access to another laptop or another battery so you can swap them around to see which item has the problem. Personally I lean towards a defective battery since this tends to be the weakest link. If you go for another battery, then I would suggest an OWC battery is your safest bet. I've rarely had to replace Logic Boards or DC-In Boards on these systems except for GPU issues or for liquid damage.

Dec 9, 2019 1:24 PM in response to HWTech

HWTech wrote:

Actually I might be mistaken that the SMC reset unsets the Startup Disk since I usually combine the SMC reset with a PRAM reset. I think the PRAM reset is what actually unsets the Startup Disk selection. Sorry about the confusion.

I always do both too, and never had that startup disk thing 🤔

I've tested a different set of power adapters, that i know they work, and the battery is something that i can't.. i'll try to see if a friend has a mac like mine so i can swap batteries, meanwhile i'll apply the warranty for the battery that i just bought

Macbook Pro Early 2011 new battery not charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.