Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook 5,2 2009 new battery not charging

I will post the answer to this because I was able to figure it out, but didn't see this answer on the forum. I know that it's an old MacBook, but I prefer to keep tech out of the landfill if possible.

I have a 2009 White MacBook that I purchased an aftermarket battery for. I put it on the charger overnight and when I had plugged the charger in, the MacBook was not powered on, and the charger changed to orange. This morning I check and the battery is still only 50% charged as indicated by the green LEDs on the battery.

I turn on the MacBook and it shows that it is plugged in, but is not charging the battery. The charge indicator is still orange. If I unplug it, the MacBook will run off of what charge it has. System profile shows that the battery is installed, with 1 cycle count, but it not currently charging when plugged in.

I have several charge cables and none of them was charging the battery.

I shut it down and did a SMC reset. This is to unplug the power cable, take out the battery, hold the power button for 5 seconds. Then put the battery back in, followed by the charger. Charger was still orange and no charging.

I also tried resetting the PRAM, which is holding option+control+P+R when first booting and waiting until you hear a second boot chime (or three).

The battery seems fine and the power adapters are all known to work.

MacBook

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 12:56 PM

How I fixed this (this may work on older MacBook models, mine is the 2009)

With the MacBook powered on and the charge cable connected, turn the MacBook on its side so that you can access the battery. I rested mine on a towel with the screen open 90 degrees. Unlock the battery and fully remove the battery. Then put the battery back in and lock it again. I waited all of two seconds between removal and reinstalling the battery.

Battery symbol changed from the power plug, to the lightning bolt and now shows the battery charging with an estimated time until full.

Hope this helps someone.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2022 12:56 PM in response to DeathStalker13

How I fixed this (this may work on older MacBook models, mine is the 2009)

With the MacBook powered on and the charge cable connected, turn the MacBook on its side so that you can access the battery. I rested mine on a towel with the screen open 90 degrees. Unlock the battery and fully remove the battery. Then put the battery back in and lock it again. I waited all of two seconds between removal and reinstalling the battery.

Battery symbol changed from the power plug, to the lightning bolt and now shows the battery charging with an estimated time until full.

Hope this helps someone.

MacBook 5,2 2009 new battery not charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.