Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 16" + Apple LED Cinema Display 27-inch

I'm planing to buy the new MacBook Pro 16".

Will I still able to connect to my Apple LED Cinema Display 27-inch

(S/N 2A***6JL)? If so, what adaptor will I need?

Thank you.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 6, 2019 8:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 9:31 AM

Sorry, you seem to be confused there Grant.

The display port end goes in the Apple screen. The HDMI connector goes in to the USB-C dongle, which connects to the new macbook.

Speaking from experience, this setup works for me. Working in the film industry, I plug my mac in to a lot of external displays like these.

Now go ahead and get this post deleted like all the other ones where I've corrected your misinformation. 86,000 forum points doesn't mean your answer is superior, but does potentially lead to a situation where there are a lot of confused apple forum users.

Look how complex this one got for such a simple answer.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2019 9:31 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Sorry, you seem to be confused there Grant.

The display port end goes in the Apple screen. The HDMI connector goes in to the USB-C dongle, which connects to the new macbook.

Speaking from experience, this setup works for me. Working in the film industry, I plug my mac in to a lot of external displays like these.

Now go ahead and get this post deleted like all the other ones where I've corrected your misinformation. 86,000 forum points doesn't mean your answer is superior, but does potentially lead to a situation where there are a lot of confused apple forum users.

Look how complex this one got for such a simple answer.

Dec 9, 2019 5:09 PM in response to Ekapon

Hello Ekapon,

I see that you have a question about using an external display with the new MacBook Pro. I'd be happy to help.

Below are the technical specifications for the new MacBook Pro. It includes the video support information for the Mac. The compatible adapters are also listed at the bottom of that page.

MacBook Pro

Hope this helps.

Have a great day!

Dec 9, 2019 5:47 PM in response to Ekapon

The Apple LED Cinema Display 27-inch is a Mini-DisplayPort display.

To use it with a Mac that has only Thunderbolt-3 ports like the MacBook Pro 16-in, you would need a Thunderbolt-3 to Mini DisplayPort adapter, which Apple does not make.

Using the Apple ThunderBolt-3 <--> Thunderbolt-2 adapter is an exercise in futility, as this adapter supports ONLY genuine ThunderBolt displays.

You could also use some adapters labeled USB-C (USB-C is the name of the connector, ONLY). Best results and highest quality are obtained form adapters rated for "4K".

In the US, Amazon is a source many Readers use to find the devices (adapters and cables generally separately) But Buyer Beware! Amazon search is divergent and automatically bring up items that are outside your specific search "in case you are interested in these as well". Also: check promised delivery dates carefully, as such items may ship direct from the Far East, and really will take the full three weeks estimated for delivery.

MacBook Pro 16" + Apple LED Cinema Display 27-inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.