You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How exactly does the stand activity work

I have been trying to understand the behaviour of the stand activity but am still unable to.

Q. How does the watch recognise the stand hour? Does it calculate from the start of the hour or does it calculate from the last movement of at least a minute?

Whenever I have seen the stand bar blink, i have walked at least for a few minutes hoping that the bar would light up but it always misses the bar. I rarely receive a Time to stand up notification. I have to manually check the activity app to see the status of the stand bar.

What i have observed is that, the stand hour probably calculates from the last movement of at least a minute. The reason I say this is, I have tried testing it.

On one occasion, i walked from 12:58 to 13:02. But i received a stand bar for just one hour. The next hour went for a miss.

On another occasion, I logged in an outdoor walk of more than 20 minutes but the stand bar failed to light.

Both the iphone and the Apple Watch series 5 softwares are up to date.

Wrist detection is set to on

Wheelchair mode is disabled.

Apple Watch Series 5, watchOS 6

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 12:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2024 7:05 AM

It follows the clock,you can 1 credit at 5 minutes to the hour and 1 credit at 5 minutes past the hour,it doesn't matter at what part of the hour you move around,it only matters that you DO.If you have stand reminder turned on it will alert you at 50 minutes past each hour if you haven't moved for that hour,this gives you 10 minutes in which to get up and move around for a minute.

Thanks sir

[Edited by Moderator]

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 6, 2024 7:05 AM in response to sunilbabuvk

It follows the clock,you can 1 credit at 5 minutes to the hour and 1 credit at 5 minutes past the hour,it doesn't matter at what part of the hour you move around,it only matters that you DO.If you have stand reminder turned on it will alert you at 50 minutes past each hour if you haven't moved for that hour,this gives you 10 minutes in which to get up and move around for a minute.

Thanks sir

[Edited by Moderator]

Dec 7, 2019 5:51 AM in response to sunilbabuvk

Dec 9, 2019 5:50 AM in response to sunilbabuvk

All that the Apple Watch knows is that your Apple Watch has accelerated, decelerated, accelerated, decelerated, for about a minute. That is to say the typical arm swing when you are walking. If you do not swing your arm while walking it will not detect acceleration/deceleration. Constant velocity does not count.

You can lie flat on your back, and wave your arm around and get credit for standing.

My preferred way to get stand credit, is to juggle 3 bean bags. I'm getting very good at it. I am at least standing, but I'm not walking, I'm moving my left arm in a circular pattern tossing and catching bean bags.

As fieryjack has said, you have to do the standing (or simulated standing) between the top of hour (:00) and the end of the hour (:59)

Dec 7, 2019 1:27 AM in response to sunilbabuvk

The stand activity is to make sure that that you move around for at least one minute every hour for 12 hours in the day.

The Stand ring shows hours in which you've stood and moved for at least a minute. Complete your daily Stand goal by standing up and moving around for at least 1 minute during 12 different hours in the day to close your stand ring. Even if you stand all day, you still need to move around.

How exactly does the stand activity work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.