Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family sharing but allow other adults also to make their own purchases

I purchased a family subscription to Apple Music and want to set up a "family" that includes my partner and 18+ son. My partner wants to be able to make her own purchases in the App store, but the minute she joins the "family," her Apple id becomes nonfunctional and she appears only to be able to make purchases by using my credit card. (That of course involves constraints about permission or passwords or whatever.)

Is there any way to allow her to share the music plan but remain her own person for other aspects of the Apple/iCloud ecology?

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 10:12 AM

Members of a family sharing group can add store credit to their account to pay for their purchases, but the family organizer's payment method will always be used if needed. If I recall you may occasionally need to give members the CVV code of your card for verification purposes, but no other information needs to be shared with them. Purchases by adults don't require permission.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2019 10:12 AM in response to Clifford Ando

Members of a family sharing group can add store credit to their account to pay for their purchases, but the family organizer's payment method will always be used if needed. If I recall you may occasionally need to give members the CVV code of your card for verification purposes, but no other information needs to be shared with them. Purchases by adults don't require permission.

tt2

Dec 7, 2019 12:19 PM in response to turingtest2

This is clear enough, but if this is one's only option, it's a ridiculous system for sharing among adults.

I want to be able to share Apple Music with my family, but my partner wants retain her own normally-functioning account for other purposes, e.g., the App Store. But that option appears to be foreclosed.

Perhaps this is Apple's way of making sure that the people with whom one shares "Music" are people you really do feel close to, but it's not flexible enough for us.

Dec 7, 2019 12:29 PM in response to Clifford Ando

Clifford Ando wrote:

I want to be able to share Apple Music with my family, but my partner wants retain her own normally-functioning account for other purposes, e.g., the App Store. But that option appears to be foreclosed.

In a family sharing group nothing is automatically added to the other users devices or libraries, but you can review what other parties have purchased and then add it to your library or device should you choose, and if you happen to search for the same item in the store you'll find it can be downloaded without charge. Data remains linked to individual Apple IDs.

Perhaps this is Apple's way of making sure that the people with whom one shares "Music" are people you really do feel close to, but it's not flexible enough for us.

Indeed, I think that is the point. It isn't meant for five friends or acquaintances to share all of each others purchases freely with each other.

tt2

Family sharing but allow other adults also to make their own purchases

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.