Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating Aperture library to Photos on Sierra

Hello,

I followed https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209594,

however step 4 is not feasible, the Browser button can not be pressed.

This is how my Aperture looks like after step 3:

Thanks!

iMac 27", macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 4:33 PM

You can correct the date and time of imported photos, if you select them and use the command "Image > Adjust Date & Time". This is described here: Add titles, descriptions and more to photos using Photos on Mac - Apple Support (scroll down to the paragraph: Change a photo’s date and time).

How can I correct the dates of already imported photos?
Could I go in the library structure and do it? Or would that not update the view?

You cannot change the date in the library structure. This is different from Aperture. The photos will only be read once on import, and if you modify the originals later, it will not update the edited versions. Photos is meant to be used with the originals stored in iCloud, where you cannot access them directly anyway.

Is a database rebuild required? How would I do this? Or is there another way?

When you use the commands in Photos to correct the date & Time, there is no repair required.

If you ever need to repair the library, it is done similar to Aperture. (Repair the library)

I have found 3 libraries in my Pictures folder:
• Aperture Library 2.aplibrary (5 GB)
• Aperture Library.aplibrary (8 MB)
• Photos Library.photoslibrary (4 GB)

Could I delete both Aperture libraries after upgrading to Catalina?

You have only one Photos Library , so it seems, that you only converted one Aperture Library to a Photos Library.

If your two Aperture Libraries are not holding the same photos, you will have to migrate the second library as well to Photos. After your libraries have been converted to Photos Libraries, you can delete them from your system volume, but I would keep a copy on an external volume to save your original photos.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2019 4:33 PM in response to coxorange

You can correct the date and time of imported photos, if you select them and use the command "Image > Adjust Date & Time". This is described here: Add titles, descriptions and more to photos using Photos on Mac - Apple Support (scroll down to the paragraph: Change a photo’s date and time).

How can I correct the dates of already imported photos?
Could I go in the library structure and do it? Or would that not update the view?

You cannot change the date in the library structure. This is different from Aperture. The photos will only be read once on import, and if you modify the originals later, it will not update the edited versions. Photos is meant to be used with the originals stored in iCloud, where you cannot access them directly anyway.

When you use the commands in Photos to correct the date & Time, there is no repair required.

If you ever need to repair the library, it is done similar to Aperture. (Repair the library)

You have only one Photos Library , so it seems, that you only converted one Aperture Library to a Photos Library.

If your two Aperture Libraries are not holding the same photos, you will have to migrate the second library as well to Photos. After your libraries have been converted to Photos Libraries, you can delete them from your system volume, but I would keep a copy on an external volume to save your original photos.

Dec 7, 2019 11:59 AM in response to coxorange

This does not work for me either.

Try to select all photos in the Photos view instead:

• Click "Photos " in the sidebar, select one of the photos, then select all with ⌘A.
  • Now try to render previews :
    1. Choose Edit > Select All to select all of your photos.
    2. Press and hold the Option key, then choose Photos > Generate Previews.
    3. Aperture now generates full-size previews for every photo in your library. To follow its progress, choose Window > Show Activity from the menu bar. Quit Aperture when processing is complete.

Dec 8, 2019 8:17 AM in response to léonie

Thank you, this has worked!

One problem I have after the migration to Photos:

I have numbered all my photos from 1999060000.jpg to 2019120046.jpg.

When comparing the displayed photos in "Keep Sorted By Oldest" view with "Keep Sorted By Title" view

I noticed that 8 photos switch positions – the reason is that I had edited these photos which must have changed

the created and modified dates info. How can I correct the dates of already imported photos?

Last thing:

Thanks again!

Dec 8, 2019 6:34 PM in response to léonie

Thanks a lot for your answer!

> You can correct the date and time of imported photos, if you select them and use the command "Image > Adjust Date & Time".

This would only change date/time in Photos' metadata database - and not in the originals, correct?

> You have only one Photos Library , so it seems, that you only converted one Aperture Library to a Photos Library.

No, I always had just one Aperture library. I think I clicked on Aperture Library.migratedaplibrary (which now no longer exists - probably renamed to Aperture Library 2.aplibrary)/ When I open Aperture Library.aplibrary no photos appear in Aperture, just an empty Aperture window.

Migrating Aperture library to Photos on Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.