Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you remove the up/down arrow keys on the MBP 16" 2019?

Is it possible to remove the up/down keys in particular?

I was having issues with the down-button where it sometimes wouldn’t press. I assumed something was stuck under the key, so I plucked it out. Now it doesn’t seem to want to go back to its place. I can get it into place on right side of the button, but the left remains loose and you can lift it up.

In trying to debug and figure out how the button’s placed, I also removed the up-arrow key and now I’m having the same issue with that button, except in reverse. The left side gets snapped into place but the right side of the button remains lose and you can lift it up and play with it

Image attached

So my question is: Have I in fact broken the keys and are they not actually possible to remove? Or am I just doing this wrong? How do I snap them back into place? I’ve tried removing the white butterfly underneath and tried snapping it onto the button but I can’t get the butterfly to stick to the key on both sides, one of the sides just keep remaining lose

Any help would be incredibly appreciated

Tyvm in advance

MacBook

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2019 4:15 PM

If you have access to an Apple Store, I'd recommend making an appointment and seeing if they might be able to fix it. It could be a broken mechanism, and the keys should be individually replaceable.

I had a broken escape key on my mid-2012 MBP and it was replaced at an Apple Store for free. I really only needed the scissor mechanism, but their replacement parts were complete keys with the keycap and mechanism.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2019 4:15 PM in response to Antoine8

If you have access to an Apple Store, I'd recommend making an appointment and seeing if they might be able to fix it. It could be a broken mechanism, and the keys should be individually replaceable.

I had a broken escape key on my mid-2012 MBP and it was replaced at an Apple Store for free. I really only needed the scissor mechanism, but their replacement parts were complete keys with the keycap and mechanism.

Can you remove the up/down arrow keys on the MBP 16" 2019?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.