Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictation language glitch

I dictate messages on my iphone in different languages, usually in English, Italian or French. I have those keyboards set up and until recently to dictate in for example Italian, I switch the keyboard to Italian and started speaking. however now after recent updates this no longer works properly. I’ll switch to the Italian keyboard, say something in Italian and the iPhone writes in nonsense English, or French. I can assure you there is nothing wrong with my pronunciation :) Occasionally this language mix up even happens when I’m speaking English. The dictation feature seems to completely ignore the keyboard that I have chosen. Instead it seems to be trying to recognise the language spoken and is recognising it wrongly. Anyone else having this issue? And is it a glitch or is there some setting box I have to take somewhere? I’ve had a good look through settings and can’t find anything.

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 5:19 AM

Hi Saucelicious,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. From what you've described, it sounds like you're having trouble with dictation on your iPhone. I'd love to help out with this. 

First, restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone

Next, test dictation in multiple apps. 

Finally, navigate to Settings > General > Keyboards > Dictation. Toggle it off Dictation, wait a few seconds, then toggle it on again. Test dictation again.

You may also want to reset your keyboard dictionary: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary.

If you're still experiencing the same issue, please reply with whether or not this happens with all apps. 

Take care.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2019 5:19 AM in response to Saucelicious

Hi Saucelicious,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. From what you've described, it sounds like you're having trouble with dictation on your iPhone. I'd love to help out with this. 

First, restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone

Next, test dictation in multiple apps. 

Finally, navigate to Settings > General > Keyboards > Dictation. Toggle it off Dictation, wait a few seconds, then toggle it on again. Test dictation again.

You may also want to reset your keyboard dictionary: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary.

If you're still experiencing the same issue, please reply with whether or not this happens with all apps. 

Take care.

Dec 14, 2019 10:58 AM in response to Saucelicious

Hi Saucelicious,

Thank you for your reply. Let's keep working on this.

Be sure your device is fully updated: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. You'll want to have a current backup prior to updating.

Also, under Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards, test the issue by removing all keyboard other than the keyboard with the language you're using for dictation in the Notes app, and test the issue. You can add them again after.

Take care.

Dec 13, 2019 11:35 AM in response to chris_g1

Hi Less,

thanks for your reply. I tried all of the steps you suggested. Although in the past I had problems dictating in all of my apps. Right now the problem is only evident in one app: notes

Unfortunately none of those measures you suggested has changed anything.

I just dictated a whole passage in Italian and this is what I got: ’Stop parlant de l’italiano email you had some nice gravy Italiano Auchel temps Italia alors parquet non inscrivez italiano?

Anita and the screen in Italiano it on the tanto in English is it’

It’s writing a mixture of English and Italian and French! Would really appreciate any other suggestions.

Dictation language glitch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.