Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When to use Family Sharing and when to create separate AppleIDs

I just bought an iPhone for my elderly mother and am setting it up for her. She frequently forgets logins/passwords. i was trying to determine whether to set her up with her own AppleID tied to her email (she often forgets her email login and password and resets it every other day) and use Family Sharing OR use my AppleID to control everything on her phone. I do not want my emails/texts going to her, as I know this would confuse her. What should I do?

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 8:52 AM

I would recommend that you each have your own Apple ID. With all of the things that can be synced via iCloud, sharing an Apple ID can cause a number of issues of data from one phone syncing to the other or deletions on one phone syncing to the other.

6 replies

Dec 8, 2019 9:44 AM in response to nicolle294

Family Sharing works with different Apple IDs. If you use the same Apple ID, then you render family sharing completely moot. As an Apple ID already has access to all its content and purchases and content regardless of device.

Anyway, each person should have their own Apple ID.

While the Apple ID is tied to the email, unless its an iCloud Email address, it is not in any way tied to its password. Changing the password for the email account will not affect the password for the actual Apple ID, again unless its an email address. If its a 3rd party email account, she can change the email password as much as she wants and it will not affect the Apple ID password.

Also, the Apple ID password in general will not be required on a regular basis on an iPhone, so she should not need to remember it.

There’s also the option of you having the password, and telling it to her if she forgets it, should she need it.

The only real place you would need to enter the Apple ID password normally is when downloading items from the iTunes and App stores, and you can set that to not be required.

When to use Family Sharing and when to create separate AppleIDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.