Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina: Photo sync does not work properly (Finder/USB). NOT using Photos app. NOT using iCloud for photos.

This is my first thread on the subject - which I accentally marked "SOLVED"

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250716061

I have been following my thread and another one (which uses the Photos app) for months. The only way that works for me to sync photos is to turn on iCloud photo sync on the device (let's say iPad) I want to sync, then let all the photos on the iPad delete, then delete the iPod photo cache on my iMac, then start the sync from scratch. Today it took over 2 hours (fully updated iMac and iPad Pro). I've been waiting since before Catalina (see my OTHER thread here):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250270137

which I was only able to "fix" by rolling back to a previous edition of iTunes - for these issues to be resolved. So, this has been a problem for me for several months. Anyway, today I tried with a second iPad (turning on iCloud photos on the iPad, waiting for the photos to disappear, then connecting via USB to my iMac) and the arrows just spun in Finder with no photos being synched (no pie chart ever appeared). I did not delete the iPod Photo Cache this time, hoping I wouldn't need to.

I don't think that we should have to follow all of those steps and wait for hours (I have over 30k photos) every time I want to sync photos from my iMac to my iPad or iPhone. For years, the process was smooth and quick.

I do not use iCloud or the Photos app. The people on a similar thread who use the Photos app think the issue is with the app. It could be, but I believe it goes deeper as I've never used the app and many other people commented on my thread who also do not use the app. Apple has never responded to me though I have complained through the various contact links many times and event talked to phone support. 

I'm starting a new thread as my first one was erroneously marked "solved" and I'll be careful not to do that again this time, until it is SOLVED. Thanks for reading.

Any other workarounds besides what I have mentioned above are welcome.

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 12:47 PM

Similar questions

16 replies

Dec 17, 2019 5:46 PM in response to Squiddz

In response to Squiddz

My workaround is to:

1) Use Image Capture application (on Mac) to move new photos from my iPhone to my Mac.

2) Use Google Backup and Sync application (on Mac) to copy photos between my Mac and Google’s cloud storage.

3) Use Google Drive app (on iPhone) to view photos.

Note: The full resolution photos and videos stay on my Mac where they are backed up via TimeMachine (local) and Backblaze (remote). So I’m not depending on Google Backup and Sync for a storage/backup solution, just as a conduit for sharing my photos with others and for viewing my photos on my phone.

This workaround is NOT ideal, but it’s functional and it lets me get in with my life.

Dec 13, 2019 9:37 AM in response to Squiddz

12/13 Update: I updated both the Mac OS and the iOS and tried synching again with the 2nd iPad. The arrows keep revolving and there's no "pie chart" and no photos synched to the iPad, in over 2 hours. (I did not delete the Photo Cache, that was part of the experiment).

In other words, the latest 2 software updates did not fix this problem. I will keep reporting this to Apple.

Dec 31, 2019 11:33 AM in response to Squiddz

Hello Squiddz,

I think I have a similar problem like you: I don't use iCloud photo nor photo app. On my Mac, I created some folders and put some photos under each folder so when I sync with my iPhone. Prior to macOS Catalina, these custom folders appear on my iPhone under "From My Mac". My custom photo folders are located on an external drive (Thunderbolt and USB).

<external-drive>/<my_custom_photos_folders>/<folder-1>

<external-drive>/<my_custom_photos_folders>/<folder-2>

<external-drive>/<my_custom_photos_folders>/<folder-3> ...

The only way I found to get it working for me is to copy these to the local drive under:<Macintosh HD>/<users>/<user_name>/pictures/<my_custom_photos_folders>/

Then I can use "Finder" to specify the location of <my_custom_photos_folders>, and sync to my iPhone (running iOS 13.3). My Mac is running Catalina ver 10.15.2.

Dec 31, 2019 11:46 AM in response to z777

z777

Hi and thanks for posting!

Like I've said above, I have to delete the Photo Cache from my Mac, then remove all the photos from my iDevices, and then sync each time from scratch- it rebuilds the Photo Cache each time, for each device. It's been this way since before Catalina. I had rolled back to an older version of iTunes (as I've described in my other threads) and that worked perfectly, as it should - so this is a very old problem now. I've explained it in detail in the threads above, still waiting for Apple to fix it.

Feb 9, 2020 7:24 AM in response to Squiddz

I did it yesterday again with the newest updates installed. Still have to turn on iCloud photos on my iDevice, delete all the photos from the device, turn off iCloud photos when the device is empty (of photos), delete the Photo Cache from the Mac, then sync the iDevice over USB-A and wait for about 2 hours for all of my photos to transfer. Have to repeat the steps for EACH time I want to sync EACH device (rebuild the Photo Cache), even if I only add or subtract one photo. Needless to say, I don't do this often. Not acceptable, this!

Mar 25, 2020 4:57 PM in response to MikeyBananas

MikeyBananas

Sorry - all of what? You mean you didn't follow the steps I mentioned? If not, I can't say if a sync would work, just that my steps worked for me. I am not interested in using iCloud at all. IMHO the steps are pretty simple once you try them, go for it! 😀

But yes, even after the updates came out, I needed to wipe all photos from my iDevices and delete the Photo Cache. To start from scratch, in way. Thank goodness I don't have to do this for each Device and wait 2 hours anymore!

Catalina: Photo sync does not work properly (Finder/USB). NOT using Photos app. NOT using iCloud for photos.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.