Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VERY slow sync (hours!) for pictures via iTunes for Mac since last Mojave and iOS updates (3/2019)

Since I updated to the latest Mojave 10.14.4 and the latest iOS 12.2 this week, synching my photos to my iPads and iPhone is abysmally slow. Granted that I have over 25,000 photos but up until this week (and these updates), if I add a few photos to one folder (10-20 or so) then they'd synch in a couple of minutes. Now it takes several hours, just for a few new photos. I have already rebooted my (27" 5K Retina) iMac and my iPads, and I deleted the iPod Photo Cache to start from scratch. I thought once I got the Photo Cache reestablished, that the sync would be fast again like it was before the updates, but that is not the case. I am using a USB cable plugged directly into my iMac. Does anyone else experience this and does anyone have any other suggestions? Is this enough info to help me? Thank you.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 30, 2019 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2019 2:47 AM

This looks like a previous problem with iTunes has returned with the latest update.

Please report the problem to Apple:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

The more people that do this, the quicker something will be done.

Similar questions

46 replies

Apr 8, 2019 8:22 PM in response to WALKMAN_Forever

For me this problem occurred after applying the update that took Mojave to 10.14.4.

I was previously running Mojave, at the version that was current prior to the 10.14.4 update.

iTunes is at 12.9.4.94

I have ipads and an iphone that are all at latest version of iOS, apart from one ipad at iOS 9.3.5

iTunes successfully synced photos to all these devices prior to the application of the Mojave 10.14.4 update (successful = completed in < 30 minutes, each device has >30,000 photos). That is it successfully synced using the previous version of Mojave.

After the application of Mojave 10.14.4 update, iTunes photo syncing to any and each of these devices takes > 10 hours, with most of that time spent with iTunes displaying the message "reading photos from ...".

If Mojave 10.14.4 update contains an update to iTunes, then maybe the issue is with iTunes, otherwise Mojave.

I tried backing out the Mojave 10.14.4 update, apparently not possible on my iMac (16GB RAM Retina 5K 3.2GHz).

I tried downloading an earlier version of iTunes, however the installer displayed a message saying it needs an earlier version of macOS.

I wouldn't mind seeing some comment from Apple on this issue

Apr 9, 2019 2:06 AM in response to sydney_001

You are seeing exactly the same problem as I do, which is exactly the same problem that occurred some time back with a previous update to iTunes.

You cannot revert to an earlier version of iTunes.

if you have not already done so, please the problem to Apple:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

The more people that do this, the quicker something will be done.

Apr 7, 2019 9:10 AM in response to MaisPod

Thanks everyone, I sure know I'm not alone! Hopefully all of you have reported to this to Apple. I wonder if it is the iOS update that did this, or the Mac OSX. I would guess it's the Mac update and that is what the majority of people here seem to think too. I also wonder if one of us downgraded iTunes if that would help? I'm travelling at the moment so cannot do this myself. Thanks again everyone!

Apr 10, 2019 7:51 AM in response to sydney_001

My 5K iMac is running Mojave 10.14.4 After updating my XsMAX to iOS 12.2 image sync (using iTunes 12.9.4.94) from iMac to iPhone is slow to the point of being unusable. I have one iPad Pro that I haven't yet upgraded to 12.2 and the sync works properly with the same iMac. This suggests the problem is with the interaction of iOS 12.2 and iTunes 12.9.4.94, not with Mojave.

I'm a business user, and Apple's increasingly buggy updates are causing me to consider abandoning the entire enviroment. They're no longer producing adequately reliable machines. Too bad, its been a long, productive run.

Apr 10, 2019 8:56 PM in response to Squiddz

In addition to hanging for hours when trying to sync, when it finally completes there are photos /videos that have not been copied across in several albums (the number of photos shown on iTunes does not agree with the number of pictures on the iPad/iPhone ) historically when this occurred you would re-sync and wait for the final pictured to be moved across but this no longer happens. After waiting overnight for the final pictures to have been identified and copied across I now find the picture count to be the same and the photos to still be out of sync.

I am copying the same albums and pictures to my iPhone X and to my iPad Pro but it doesn’t even copy the same photos (And leave out the same photos) on the 2 devices i.e. it copies 399 photos from the folder on my Mackbook Air to my iPhone and 595 photos to the iPad Pro - the same folder ......

Apr 26, 2019 3:07 PM in response to Copperlanding

Yes, I mentioned in my first post that I did delete the photo cache and start over - and you're right, that only works once (and takes forever too). Maybe with less photos it wouldn't be so awful to wait but again I'm hoping Apple fixes this because for months it had been working perfectly. Ugh!

Thanks everyone again for posting.

May 8, 2019 9:25 AM in response to Squiddz

Now I switches to the photos-app.

The problems are with the sync of the "filesystem-photos", so I tested it with the photos-app. And the sync is ok! So I imported all of my 28.000 photos into the app, created some albums and, last but not least, I activated iCloud-photos.

Because of a sync-problem I changed the complete process of the organisation of my photos. But it works and I'm happy.

May 9, 2019 12:22 AM in response to MaisPod

Thank you - I was wondering if turning on iCloud photos was mandatory for your solution to work, if anyone knows? I'd like to avoid that.

I'm hoping to just hang in there until Apple fixes this...but I appreciate your solution and will keep it in my back pocket!

Meanwhile, everyone reading this with the same issue, please report it to Apple.

VERY slow sync (hours!) for pictures via iTunes for Mac since last Mojave and iOS updates (3/2019)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.