Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes 12.9.4.94 photo sync stuck at "reading photos"

Hi, just updated to Mojave 10.14.4 and since tried to sync my photo folders (not the Apple one), which has some 50,000 pictures over many folders. No issues before the update, I synced my iPhone XsMax and iPad Pro, which I also just updated to iOs 12.2

Now iTunes is stuck at step 4 out of 5, "reading the photos", a process last lasts for hours.

I tried deleting the iPhoto cache in the pictures folder. The first sync then would take all night to sync some 5,000 pictures, then it would not sync more pictures.

Photo sync was always tricky throughout the years, but this time I don't manage to make it work. I suspect it has to do with the latest Mojave 10.14.4, iOS 12.2?

Anyone experiencing the same issue? Any advice?

Thank you!

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 31, 2019 11:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2019 5:48 AM

Ive been having the same issue since Mac OS 10.14.4 was released on 25th March. Even 10.14.5 didn't resolve the issue and it still takes about 4-5 hours for every sync with it being stuck at "Reading photos from". I have tried all kinds of reseting devices and deleting iPod Photo Cache etc but nothing works.

No idea why I didn't think of this before but I have a time machine backup so copied a version of iTunes from 10.14.3 to a different folder, opened it, pressed sync and it was finished in less than a minute!

My photo folder is well over 10,000 photos and videos but it only had to sync about 50 photos that weren't already on my phone and it did it just as quick as it used to!

If you have a time machine backup this is worth doing until if/when Apple fix it.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2019 5:48 AM in response to Fidipaldi

Ive been having the same issue since Mac OS 10.14.4 was released on 25th March. Even 10.14.5 didn't resolve the issue and it still takes about 4-5 hours for every sync with it being stuck at "Reading photos from". I have tried all kinds of reseting devices and deleting iPod Photo Cache etc but nothing works.

No idea why I didn't think of this before but I have a time machine backup so copied a version of iTunes from 10.14.3 to a different folder, opened it, pressed sync and it was finished in less than a minute!

My photo folder is well over 10,000 photos and videos but it only had to sync about 50 photos that weren't already on my phone and it did it just as quick as it used to!

If you have a time machine backup this is worth doing until if/when Apple fix it.

May 23, 2019 7:46 AM in response to Fidipaldi

I've had this same problem since iTunes 12.9.4.94 as well. Just updated to 12.9.5.5, and the problem is still there.

Before, adding maybe only one photo took less than a minute to sync and complete.

Now it takes hours and hours as it is stuck at "reading photos." I have thousands of images as well as videos. It's exhausting that it has to repeat the same tired process every time.

I have sent notifications to Apple about this, but apparently, no engineers fixed the issue with the recent software update.

Has anyone figured out if the problem is solved elsewhere on user-end?

May 27, 2019 8:33 AM in response to yuppymike

Hi Yuppymike,

Excellent and brilliant idea, I did recover the iTunes version with Time Machine before the March 25th update and voila, I can sync my pictures. (40,000 plus organised in my own folders).

It's a great fix, however the current iTunes version should be able to handle the sync and Apple should correct that bug.

Thanks for sharing!

itunes 12.9.4.94 photo sync stuck at "reading photos"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.