Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't rename Apple Keyboard or Magic Mouse -Solved-

Hello Everyone...

I bought a used Apple Magic Mouse and Keyboard and was frustrated by the inability to rename either to something I liked other than the names they came with.

Using the "Rename" function within the BT Control Panel DID NOT WORK as the name would revert to the old name. Even when attempting the rename on multiple machines. I am using latest version of Catalina on a mid 2012 15" MBP with 16 GB memory and an SSD.

After hours of research, troubleshooting, and frustration (deleting this and that and resetting this and that)... all the standard stuff, I FOUND THE SOLUTION:

You need a machine running Mac OS 10.5.8 Leopard up to and including Mac OS 10.10.6 El Capitan BUT NOTHING LATER THAN THAT. Regardless of machine. Just pair your mouse or keyboard to a machine running the correct version of Mac OS and rename. VOILA! Name is applied as it should be!

This is due to a bug in newer versions of Mac OS that do not do the naming correctly. Hopefully Apple will correct at some point.

Enjoy!

Regards,

C. Perez

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 10:41 AM

This solution works:

1 Connect Device

2 Go to settings, right click on device, don't click the menu, leave it open

3 Turn off device

4 Select "rename" in the still open right click menu

5 rename the device and close the pop up

6 Turn device back on and connect

Similar questions

115 replies

Nov 14, 2020 4:43 PM in response to Carlos Perez2

As of 10.15.7 (and possibly sooner), renaming seems to work (and stick).

One note to add, which may be slightly off-topic from the OP, but may help folks stumbling on this for a related reason.

I found my way here because I couldn't find the option to "Rename". The only option I had was to "Remove":

If you are in the same situation, here's the solution:

Unplug the Lightening cable from the device.

That will force it to connect via Bluetooth. Then you will find the option to rename it.

Jun 25, 2020 1:06 AM in response to lucasgeds

I had a similar problem and found this solution worked for me.

1. Make sure the bluetooth icon is showing in your menu (top right). If not enter Bluetooth in System Preferences and tick the box “Show Bluetooth in menus bar”
  2. Make sure your Magic Mouse is paired and connected to your mac
  3. Hold the SHIFT and OPTION key down while left-clicking the bluetooth icon.
  4. An extra option has appeared in the bluetooth menu: 'Debugging', go there
  5. Click 'Factory Reset all connected apple devices'
  6. Acknowledge the warning message
  7. Turn off your mac using the switch as your mouse and keyboard are now not recognised
  8. Power up your Mac and allow it to re-discover your keyboard and mouse, check the Bluetooth icon and both should now be renamed System Administrator’s Keyboard/Mouse

Hope this works for you.

Aug 14, 2020 3:39 AM in response to LouStools

Rafasiqueira's mathod shoul work, you must have made a mistake somewhere:

1. when you right click on highlighted device, don't click the menu, leave it open;
  2. subsequently you have to physically turn off the device. For example, on wireless keyboards, you have to push the button in upper right corner for couple seconds till green led is unlit after it lights on.
  3. Then you can select "Rename" in the still open right click menu.
  4. Rename the device and close the pop up.
  5. Turn device back on and connect.

Feb 26, 2020 10:33 AM in response to Carlos Perez2

Thank you! I never post in forums, but I have spent HOURS googling solutions to this problem with ALL sorts of things suggested, NONE of which worked. But yours did! I had to boot off of a slow USB thumb drive with High Sierra on it to do it though. I feel certain this is by design. This seems to be Apple's new business model lately is to instantly deprecate everything that came before it the second a new product is out. Very frustrating. Again, THANK YOU. :)

Jun 3, 2020 11:52 PM in response to Carlos Perez2

This is very interesting ... I thought I was going out of my mind when the instructions from Apple didn't work! It is curious though, I was able to rename my keyboard, it was just the trackpad that wouldn't work - perhaps because the trackpad is older (battery operated one). There is another update available now, so we will see if it works after this - I'm not holding my breath!

Jun 11, 2020 3:58 AM in response to Carlos Perez2

Although temporarily working on the device on which the procedures were followed, none of the solutions involving Catalina worked for me for good.

The only way I was able to rename my device (Apple Keyboard A1314) and see the name stick even when connecting to other BT devices was using an older version of Mac OS.

The fact that I could not rename a BT device through Catalina and other PCs/Smartphones was driving me crazy. Then I installed El Capitan on a SD card that was lying around and was able to rename it through the conventional method.

AFAIK, all other methods only work temporarily or just on one device.

Here are some helpful links to guide through installing older versions of Mac:

macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/download-old-os-x-3629363/

macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/bootable-mac-installer-3575875/

Jun 24, 2020 8:29 AM in response to Carlos Perez2

I took the mouse, that I was unable to re-name on Catalina, to an older Mini running 10.7.5. I renamed it there successfully and the new name stuck when returned to the Catalina machine. The renaming procedure is a little different on 10.7.5, but obvious. In 10.7.5 go to System Preferences > Bluetooth. Highlight the mouse in question, then go to the advanced features gear icon, and the rest is obvious.

Can't rename Apple Keyboard or Magic Mouse -Solved-

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.