Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple id activation

The Apple ID linked to an old ipad of mine is no longer active as I changed my Apple ID when I changed my email address many years ago. However, the ipad's activation lock is still linked to it and I can't remember the password. When I go to appleid.apple.com to change the password, it doesn't recognize the old apple id as even being valid. Is there any way to transition the ipad to my current apple id?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 7:18 AM

Your old e-mail will still be showing there, however, you should use the password for that account if it's still active. So if you've changed Apple ID A to Apple ID B and it's the same account just showing Apple ID A, then you should use the password for Apple ID B.

It's the same account.

6 replies

Dec 9, 2019 7:28 AM in response to elane288

If necessary, if you are the original owner, take the device, the original purchase receipt with the serial number, and a photo ID to the nearest Apple Store.

Genius Bar Reservation US

or contact Apple ID Support. They will need to see the original purchase receipt/paperwork also.

Apple ID Support

Apple ID Support (2) 

Apple Support by e-mail or chat         

Apple Support using Twitter

Or fill out and submit this form.

Dec 9, 2019 12:55 PM in response to elane288

contact Apple ID Support. I would try to stay focused on Apple ID and password problem. If you bring the iPad up, they may want to see the receipt,

Apple ID Support

Apple ID Support (2) 

Apple Support by e-mail or chat    Work through the screens to get a chat option. 

Apple Support using Twitter

Or fill out and submit this form.          The form is for iTunes, but it will get passed to the ID Support section.  

apple id activation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.