Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a support article for using USB keyboards on the Mac?

Specifically, which key on a standard USB keyboard gives you the same result as prees a Mac key?

I've figured out the Windows key giveds the same result as the command key, Windows Alt key = the option key, ans so forth.

Would like a "master" chart, if I can call it that.

I'm going to label the keyboards appropriately.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 11:11 AM

snowshed wrote:

Specifically, which key on a standard USB keyboard gives you the same result as prees a Mac key?

I've figured out the Windows key giveds the same result as the command key, Windows Alt key = the option key, ans so forth.

Set up your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, and trackpad ...

Mac keyboard shortcuts - Apple Support

Use the Keyboard Viewer on Mac - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2019 11:11 AM in response to snowshed

snowshed wrote:

Set up your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, and trackpad ...

Mac keyboard shortcuts - Apple Support

Use the Keyboard Viewer on Mac - Apple Support

Dec 9, 2019 1:23 PM in response to snowshed

As this is a user-to-user technical support forum, we would have to Google to find an Apple Support article. Actually Googling is most likely how leroydouglas found the links already provided.

I figure you can create your own master chart using the

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-the-keyboard-viewer-on-mac-mchlp1015/mac

on your Mac with your keyboard.

I've used the keyboard viewer to great advantage when I wanted to know what keys did what.

Dec 9, 2019 2:59 PM in response to BobHarris

So far, Googling has been useless for what I want.]

The keyboard viewer tells you the alternate function of the Apple keys. it does not tell me that if I want the functions of the option key, what key on a Windows USB keyboard do I need to press. Hunt and peck got me that key.

There's a lot of possible key combo's to go through if you have to sit and just press keys.

Is there a support article for using USB keyboards on the Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.