Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prohibitory symbol

Straight out of the box my MacBook Air will not go past the login screen. I log in and the screen goes black and shows me the prohibitory symbol. How do I fix this

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 7:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 8:38 PM

That means it doesn't find a proper boot volume. Have you tried to see if it can go into Internet Recovery Mode? You'll need a good internet connection. Ethernet is best but will require an adapter. Wi-Fi without a "splash screen" will work. You can enter a Wi-Fi password, but if it needs something like an approval screen (think a cafe) it won't work.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2019 8:38 PM in response to kaylyn67

That means it doesn't find a proper boot volume. Have you tried to see if it can go into Internet Recovery Mode? You'll need a good internet connection. Ethernet is best but will require an adapter. Wi-Fi without a "splash screen" will work. You can enter a Wi-Fi password, but if it needs something like an approval screen (think a cafe) it won't work.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Prohibitory symbol

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.