Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing Up Hardisk to External HD with Catalina?

My iMac 27" / 2017 with Catalina 10.15.1 I tried to make a backup to an external LaCie Thunderbolt HD. I used "Carbon Copy Cloner 5.1.14"with "CLONE" and "back up all files" options on.

LaCie HD was pre formatted to APFS as the iMac HD with Disk Utilities from the system.

After I re-start from the LaCie Back up it takes long time to finish opening all the apps and presents the Desktop, whatever program I try to open it takes a long time and the color ball rotating, no always open all, some programs it will not open.

I check the Backup LaCie HD before starting from it with Disk Utilities and shows all is OK and DONE.

I tried to do all again several times but the result is the same.

My computer is working perfect and fast with Catalina but I need to have a backup as always had for the last 3 years when I bought the LaCie HD. I usually backup monthly, I never wanted to use Time Machine and I will not start now. I will appreciate any help but not too technical. I am too old now.

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 10:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 1:24 AM

You can close system preferences with impunity. The first backup with TM will take ages. A second backup will take a shorter time, but still lengthy. It always seems to need a second large bite! After that it will back up only the incremental changes.

All copy routines, and TM is no exception, get indigestion with myriads of tiny little files. The first TM backup contains more of those than you can shake a stick at. When it hits a batch of large files it will race ahead.

Continue to use your machine as normal. TM is designed to handle real life users. It will incorporate any edits, new files, etc, into subsequent TM backups.

TM also lets you return in time to earlier versions of your files. Obviously it has to have backed them up first!

It is pretty much a fire and forget solution.

I view the TM backup as important enough to have invested in RAID storage so that I have one copy protected even in the event of the rare but inevitable backup drive failure. I had one fail recently after 5 years continuous use

Similar questions

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2019 1:24 AM in response to arore

You can close system preferences with impunity. The first backup with TM will take ages. A second backup will take a shorter time, but still lengthy. It always seems to need a second large bite! After that it will back up only the incremental changes.

All copy routines, and TM is no exception, get indigestion with myriads of tiny little files. The first TM backup contains more of those than you can shake a stick at. When it hits a batch of large files it will race ahead.

Continue to use your machine as normal. TM is designed to handle real life users. It will incorporate any edits, new files, etc, into subsequent TM backups.

TM also lets you return in time to earlier versions of your files. Obviously it has to have backed them up first!

It is pretty much a fire and forget solution.

I view the TM backup as important enough to have invested in RAID storage so that I have one copy protected even in the event of the rare but inevitable backup drive failure. I had one fail recently after 5 years continuous use

Dec 9, 2019 11:33 PM in response to arore

Time Machine is your friend, the more so if you do not wish for a detailed and technical solution. There is no good reason not to use it. It works well and dependably, requiring no technical knowledge. Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support is valuable reading.

Note that Time Machine will correct the formatting on any USB (etc) drive you choose and thereby erase any data already upon it

Dec 10, 2019 4:21 PM in response to Lanny

Lanny wrote:

If your LaCie HD is mechanical, it will work noticeably slower with the APFS format. However, CCC requires the use of APFS if you want the clone to be bootable.

Interestingly I keep my Photos library on a G Technology 4TB spinning disk. It became faster after formatting it to APFS. Apple Support suggested it while diagnosing a Photo problem. I don't want to digress too far in this thread, though.

I think what we are showing arore is that TM and CCC can work in harmony, each doing its own job. However the original post states that the LaCie HD is formatted to APFS and still doesn't work correctly

Dec 10, 2019 11:27 PM in response to arore

The following screenshots shows the info when I click in every Volumen & Containers. The big surprise is that LaCie external HD used for Time Machine it is not formatted in APFS, I made 100% sure to delete it and formatted in APSF with Disk Utility before I start clicking in Time Machine. Is this normal?

INTERNAL

Screenshot 2,- Container Disk2 is showing in red....Why? I try to delete it but I can not find how. Can you help me here?

Screenshot 3.- Macintosh HD.........this is Normal in Catalina now.

Screenshot 4.- Macintosh Hardisk Data....This is also normal in Catalina now.

Screenshot 5.- Container Disk3 ( is empty but a Capacity of 25,77 GB) I mean It should be delete, is reducing the space in my iMac HD but I can not find the way to take it away. Can you help here?

EXTERNAL

Screenshot 6.- Is the external LaCie HD with 3 TB. All normal here (I think).

Screenshot 7.- Macintosh HD Backup. This is the TIME MACHINE backup (Yesterday before I switch off my computer it was showing with a green icon and named "Time Machine". This also seems strange to me ......What is your meaning?

You see, Today the question are many and I sent the screenshot to illustrate my explanations.

Please I would appreciate you go slowly and try to give an answer detailed based on the screenshots. I am potty I am old and my mind works slowly (74 years _.

Dec 10, 2019 11:37 PM in response to arore

I'm not 100% sure what I'm seeing? The highlighted drive seems to be your main internal drive, and fees normal. Is the external drive the backup drive upon which your TM backup sits? If so that does not appear correct.

Please can we see a screenshot of the Time Machine pane of System Preferences as well? This one is mine

I'm very much interested in the area I've highlighted in red. It ought to show both the items I've underlined. You shook also have had a message saying that the "First Backup" had finished as a pop out box

(I replied before your second post with multiple screenshots, but my request for the TN preferences pane still stands. Your internal disk structure feels normal)

I back up to a NAS, so my TM drive mounts and unmounts as TM requires it. I imagine, but do not know, that an external drive is handled in a similar way for the TM .backupbundle, so you will only see it mounted when TM is backing up to it. I am sure others will correct me here with their broader experience.

You can also open the Terminal app and enter the command (with your backup drive plugged in)

tmutil listbackups

It will provide a full list of all the completed backups taken.

Dec 11, 2019 12:28 AM in response to Lurkums

Here you have the screenshot requested

Also take a look again to Screenshot 7 sent here again. This show that TIME MACINE backup is volume is not formatted in APFS as I did yesterday but instead in Mac OS Extended (journaled). This may be wrong. Do I need to start from the beginning with Time Machine to get it in APFS?

Dec 10, 2019 12:07 AM in response to Lurkums

Thanks for your answer. I started with reading the link in your message. It will take some time to understand and try to make it work with Time Machine with my LaCie HD because I only give small time for my computer in between others chores. Other questions may arise later while I am doing this. I will posted here for you.

I will follow your advice and let you know.

Dec 10, 2019 12:13 AM in response to arore

The key with Time Machine is not to try to second guess it. Sometimes it takes a long time. Other times it whisks through the tasks. It takes care of all the background headaches. It compresses backups when it knows it needs to. It has restart points for continuing backups after machine oddities.

I've used it happily on a NAS for years. There have been glitches between the NAS and the Mac, but TM has worked steadfastly even when the NAS vendor didn't support TM and I had to use a nasty kluge!

Dec 10, 2019 1:31 AM in response to Lurkums

One hint: If you have external drives that you wish to have included in the backup, AFTER the first backup has finished (doing it now will interrupt it and annoy you, but cause no actual backup damage) go into the Options area in System Preferences>Time Machine and check the exclusion list with the external drive you wish to back up plugged in. You can remove it from the exclusion list.

Note that ejecting an external disk while the backup is running will abort that particular backup. That's reasonable, when you think about it. It cannot back up what is not there!

I haven't the luxury of a large internal drive, so I keep my (huge) Photos library on an external drive. By default external drives are excluded. So I removed it for the exclusion list

Dec 10, 2019 1:51 AM in response to arore

TM seems to have the facility to sort sleeping out. Screensavers are unimportant to it. It truly is fire and forget, and I understand all your questions and concerns

If you are deeply curious, and I suspect you might be, you can issue the following command in Terminal to try to look under the hood. Just copy and paste it verbatim:

printf '\e[3J' && log show --predicate 'subsystem == "com.apple.TimeMachine"' --info --last 24h | grep -F 'eMac' | grep -Fv 'etat' | awk -F']' '{print substr($0,1,19), $NF}'

I was given this command by another user, and I have learnt over time to interpret most of what it tells me. I can't alter a thing TM does, but I'm geek enough to be fascinated by pretty tech things!

Backing Up Hardisk to External HD with Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.