Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth issue: iPhone paired but no audio output

The short version is that I can’t get audio via Bluetooth on my iPhone, although I think it's more complicated than that.

My iPhone X (ios 13.1.3) has no issues seeing or connecting to Bluetooth devices, but even though devices are showing as connected (in the iPhone settings -> Bluetooth), I still get sound from the iPhone speaker (and not the intended output). When I open the control centre (& click on the wireless speaker icon), I cannot see or select any Bluetooth sound outputs. 

If I restart my phone, Bluetooth will start working again fine - for a while. I have tried resetting the network settings but this didn’t help. 

It’s definitely the phone (not the speaker) - I’ve tried multiple wireless speakers and my car’s Bluetooth system. Curiously, I can still make hands-free calls in my car (with Bluetooth) but I can’t play music. I guess it’s a slightly different protocol? 

This has happened in the last few weeks - perhaps with an iOS update although I can’t be sure. It may also correspond with my beats headphones behaving strangely (failing to turn on, then failing to turn off, although these now seem to be working fine). I suppose it’s possible that these headphones are failing to ‘disengage’ the Bluetooth audio or something. Is that a thing?  Curiously, the Beats headphones connect for audio every time!

This is a very frustrating issue. Any fixes / suggestions? Or failing an actual fix, is there a way to reset the bluetooth module or something similar in the phone (without restarting)?

iPhone X

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 1:28 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Bluetooth issue: iPhone paired but no audio output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.