Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Correct workout data on Apple Watch Activity App

Occasionally I forget to end my Workout on the Apple Watch (Series 4) and might be notified on the watch 15 or 20 minutes after I actually stop exercise, asking if I want to end. So the Workouts on the Activity and Health apps are inaccurate. I find I can delete this workout, but haven't found a way to edit or replace it with the correct times. There was a thread about this here four years ago, but the apps have been changed since then. Any insights on whether or how the errant data can be corrected?

Apple Watch

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 8:23 AM

9 replies

Dec 10, 2019 8:31 AM in response to ciir

Here is a post from Johnathan_uk from two years ago that might help:

"If you have not yet done so, it may help to update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

To credit progress towards your daily Exercise goal, the Activity app aims to identify activity that equals or exceeds the intensity of a brisk walk. This requirement applies both during general daily wear and when recording workouts via the Workout app. Exercise credit is awarded for each minute during which this requirement is met.

The definition of a brisk walk varies from person to person and depends on your personal information. To check that this is accurate - and to update it over time:

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Health > Edit - tap and adjust items, then tap on Done.

Be sure to record your workouts via the Workout app, choosing the activity type that most closely matches your workout. This enables Apple Watch to use the most appropriate sensors and data sources when estimating the results, including using tailored calorie calculations for preset activity types.

During general daily wear and when using the Workout app to record workouts when GPS data is either not relevant or not available (eg Indoor Run, Elliptical), the Activity app and Workout app track your arm motion (measured by the accelerometer) when estimating results including calories and progress towards the Exercise goal.

For the best results, allow the arm on which you are wearing your watch to swing naturally as you move around and during workouts (where relevant to the activity type).

Calibrating your watch can improve the accuracy of estimations made by Activity app and Workout app. More information and instructions for calibrating your watch are available via the link below. The article also includes instructions for resetting existing calibration data and starting afresh. Resetting your calibration data will not erase your Activity history."

Dec 10, 2019 9:18 AM in response to julieda

Thanks, Julieda. However, this repost from Johnathan_uk, while perhaps useful in other circumstances, doesn't come close to responding to my question of how to edit or replace incorrect data logged from exercise (in my case, generally an elliptical, though occasionally I forget to "end" a brisk walk).

Dec 10, 2019 10:08 AM in response to ciir

In the Health App tap on the browse tab at the

bottom then tap activity and scroll down to workouts

then tap on workouts and in the the top right hand

corner of the screen it says add data,tap on that and

you can enter a new workout and when you're finished tap on add at the top right of the screen.

Be aware though that this has no effect on your 3 rings,it just adds the data to your totals in the health app.

Dec 28, 2019 4:42 PM in response to ciir

The solution given was essentially to manually add the activity then delete the activity that you forgot to end on time. You can actually edit the actually entry, but unless there is a shortcut I don't know about, it's a lot of work.

In the Health App on your iPhone go to Browse, Show All Data, select the activity, scroll to the bottom to the Workout Samples, and pick a category such as Total Active Energy. Then click Edit on the top right, and delete the time samples.

Unfortunately, you need a second click to confirm, and the bigger problem is that sampling is often. At least when I did pilates it sampled every 3 seconds. I thought I had turned it off when it happened to me, and only 1 hour later realized I hadn't. Thus I'd have to click about 60 minutes/hour x 20 samples/minute x 2 clicks/delete x 3 categories (Total Active Energy, Average Heart Rate, total Resting Energy) = 7,200 clicks!

Dec 10, 2019 8:45 AM in response to ciir

You can add a workout manually to the health app but it will have NO effect whatsoever to your activity rings,it just goes to the health app in order to update your totals.

Correct workout data on Apple Watch Activity App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.