Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photolibraryd high CPU Load

Hi there,

I discovered that my photolibraryd is generating high cpu load since about several months now. this has already been happening before catalina.

unlike with most people my problem is not the image recognition taking very long.

Taking a look in console I found repeated entrys like this one:

(process is always photolibraryd)

<private> worker processed object 192 of 984: <private>

<private> worker reports error after processing object <private>, error: Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=47001

Bad adjustment data for async edit Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=47001

these entries roll in to the thousands every second (I'm, not exagerrating... really every second, and the log can only hold 500.000 entries at once so I can't use it xD) and I have no Idea what I can do about it...

my macbook is basically unusable when I take it with me because the battery runs flat after about an hour because of this issue.

I'm experiencing networking issues and egpu issues as well but I'm unable to start debugging those because my log is getting bombed with the above mentioned messages and somehow filtering and pausing the log doesn't work

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 1:07 PM

Okay now whats even weirder:

I exported everything out of every photo library I had into a normal folder structure.

I deleted every photo library.

I created a new one and imported exactly 1445 photos in it just to try.

Now I get the exact same error messages but with a higher object count than I have objects in my photos library!

<private> worker processed object 192 of 1744: <private>

<private> worker reports error after processing object <private>, error: Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=47001

Bad adjustment data for async edit Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=47001

How is this even possible?

By the way are there any apple engineers looking at this?

Because I get the feeling that this error is completely unheared of, there is nothing about it on the common search engines.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2019 1:07 PM in response to audiocrush

Okay now whats even weirder:

I exported everything out of every photo library I had into a normal folder structure.

I deleted every photo library.

I created a new one and imported exactly 1445 photos in it just to try.

Now I get the exact same error messages but with a higher object count than I have objects in my photos library!

<private> worker processed object 192 of 1744: <private>

How is this even possible?

By the way are there any apple engineers looking at this?

Because I get the feeling that this error is completely unheared of, there is nothing about it on the common search engines.

Jan 2, 2020 12:00 PM in response to audiocrush

I know this is NOT a solution, but a way to stop photolibraryd from running:

Disclaimer: Do this only if you don't use iCloud syncing with photos, otherwise you might mess up your iCloud photos!!!!!!!

Just create a new empty photo library and set it as default: https://www.imore.com/how-use-albums-and-libraries-photos-mac#photo-lib-switch (press Option key while double-clicking on photo app, then select "New").

Afterwards, the photolibraryd process would stop at some point (if not, after some minutes : log in/out or restart).

Using this Option key, you can easily switch back to the original library whenever you want to see your photos. And after that, switch back to the empty photo library again.

This trick works for because I launch photos only 1-2 times per month. And I hope for a fix from the app developers.

Jan 3, 2020 4:47 AM in response to mbackschat

Sorry for the corrections (can't edit my original post):

Changing library or renaming does not work in the long run.

The only thing that really prevents photolibraryd from running and spamming the logs is to make the library dysfunctional; I did it by renaming <Photos Library>/database to <Photos Library>/database.xxx .

If I want to open the library, I delete a possibly new database folder that was created for me, and rename database.xxx back to database.

Disclaimer: Do this only if you don't use iCloud syncing with photos, otherwise you might mess up your iCloud photos!!!!!!!

Dec 10, 2019 4:21 PM in response to audiocrush

I have the same issue since Catalina. The photo app works on scene/favorites stuff since months and never completes:

Some more details on my situation:

My photos and videos (mov/mp4/avi etc) are not in the library but external.

I have already tried to delete the photos database files, but this does not help.

However, I realized that removing some photos and videos (like 40000 of 50000) from the photo app allows the process to complete; the problem is, that I could not find out why this bunch of photos has problems.

My current workaround is to force-kill the photolibraryd process as soon as it starts.

Dec 14, 2019 5:18 PM in response to mbackschat

Lucky you.. my machine doesn't even tell me that.

It's just running on full blast. If I didn't know what logs are I probably wouldn't even have known what the problem is.

But now It would be kind if someone from apple provided a solution to find the photos that the daemon is having an issue with so I can sort them out or maybe tell the daemon "hey look you don't get what you see no matter how hard you try, just move on and mark the photo as unrecognizable or something"

Photolibraryd high CPU Load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.