Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photoanalysisid and Photolibraryd CPU Time running excessively long

Both photoanalysisid and photolibraryd have super long CPU run times even though there are NO photos in th Photo's library as I removed the file from the machine. They also both consume a fair bit of memory and this is without the Photos app even open.

I have read a number of different posts on this topic and have attempted to kill and disable the processes, using various recommendations, without success as these just keep coming back.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Macbook Pro (mid 2010) running High Sierra with 8 GB ram

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 10:56 PM

I understand your concern and believe your best bet is to speak with Apple Support at this point. With your permission they can view your screen to see your issue.

To get started visit https://getsupport.apple.com/. Click Mac, Mac apps, then Photos. They’re open from 7:00am-10:30pm Central Time, 7 days a week.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2020 10:56 PM in response to Gantler12

I understand your concern and believe your best bet is to speak with Apple Support at this point. With your permission they can view your screen to see your issue.

To get started visit https://getsupport.apple.com/. Click Mac, Mac apps, then Photos. They’re open from 7:00am-10:30pm Central Time, 7 days a week.

Jul 18, 2020 10:23 AM in response to Gantler12

You may want to check, if there is another Photos Library on any connected volume, if you deleted the Photos Library from your Pictures folder.

As a test launch Photos while holding down the options key ⌥. This should open the library chooser dialog. Is this dialog showing another library and is one of them marked as the system photos library?

As long as you are logging into your user account, the Photos background processes will try to analyse your system Photos Library, eben if Photos is not running.

Jul 18, 2020 1:35 PM in response to léonie

Thanky you for your quick response and I have confirmed that the "empty" Photos file created is the selected System Photos Library. Even with this, both photoanalysisid and photoslibraryd continue to have the most CPU Time than any other programs on the machine - this is after a complete reboot of the machine. WindowServer and Kernal_Task are closely behind and, over time will eventually have more CPU Time if I leave the machine on. It just does not seem reasonable that the with NO photos in the library and without Photos running these processes should consume that much CPU and even consume the memory. Seems like this is an Apple system issue.

Photoanalysisid and Photolibraryd CPU Time running excessively long

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.