Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes remote app still does not work despite Apple's assertions that it does. Nothing has changed. Anyone know a fix?

Nothing has changed. The Remote app allows you to browse but not play, just the same as it did under the first release of Catalina. Anyone know a fix? I have tried reinstalling the app on the iOS devices and even signed out of iCloud and back in on the Mac Mini where the music is stored but still nothing. Did Apple actually test this or did they take someone's word for it? Simply poor quality and lack of customer service.

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 12:48 PM

It works now since 10.15.2 update, but you have to link your phone to music app. Here are the instructions: 

Set up the iTunes Remote app for Music on Mac

1. Disconnect your iOS device from your computer, if it's connected.
  2. On your device, tap Remote on the Home screen.
  3. Tap Settings, then tap Add a Music Library. A 4-digit code appears.
  4. In the Music app on your Mac, click the iPhone button near the top left of the iTunes window.
  5. Type the 4-digit code.
  6. It will tell you that the iPhone now works as a remote.
  7. Fixed!!!!!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2019 12:48 PM in response to JB_pajaro

It works now since 10.15.2 update, but you have to link your phone to music app. Here are the instructions: 

Set up the iTunes Remote app for Music on Mac

1. Disconnect your iOS device from your computer, if it's connected.
  2. On your device, tap Remote on the Home screen.
  3. Tap Settings, then tap Add a Music Library. A 4-digit code appears.
  4. In the Music app on your Mac, click the iPhone button near the top left of the iTunes window.
  5. Type the 4-digit code.
  6. It will tell you that the iPhone now works as a remote.
  7. Fixed!!!!!

Dec 12, 2019 8:10 AM in response to macmack

Thanks. Pity Apple didn't think to make it explicit to connect manually and NOT to use Home Sharing to connect the app. I had actually seen the instruction in point 4 before but thought it referred to an older version because of the reference to 'the iTunes window' - since iTunes no longer exists, it sounds as if it is out of date. I also found the iPhone icon was not near the top left but somewhere half-way down the left-hand pane.

Dec 12, 2019 9:49 AM in response to JB_pajaro

Once I added the "new" library thanks to mamack's helpful edited instructions above, I had 2 Libraries appear in my Remote app window, one home shared and one not, but otherwise identical. Only the newly added Library, not the home shared one, works in iTunes Remote control. I had to turn OFF homesharing on my iPhone app to eliminate the duplicate. At least I have Remote again now!

iTunes remote app still does not work despite Apple's assertions that it does. Nothing has changed. Anyone know a fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.