Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music Remote app on iPhone stuck on Loading...

We use the Apple iPhone Remote app to control music that is playing on my iMac and connected to a stereo. Recently, the Remote app has started to malfunction. I am running Big Sur 11.3.1 on the iMac and the iPhone is XR. The problem relates to any iPhone authorized to access my library of songs (3 or 4 other devices).

The app opens and allows me to connect to my library. If a number of songs are loaded into the Up Next function (via the iMac), I can control the basic functions (pause, play, skip song, volume), but I can no longer access the songs on my iMac hard drive. When I go to Up Next - Add - Artists, the iPhone gets stuck on Loading... This prevents me from loading any additional songs to Up Next.

I can load entire playlists that are available, but that is it. Is this an incompatibility between Remote and Big Sur?

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on May 13, 2021 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2021 7:19 AM

We're glad to hear that removing your VPN connection from the Login items helped! Apple knows how important connecting with a VPN is though, so be sure it was set up correctly: Set up a VPN connection on Mac - Apple Support

Also, make sure that your router is using these Apple recommended settings: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

How to contact an app developer - Apple Support -- If you’re still unable to use the Remote app while connected to Norton VPN, you should reach out to them for more help.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2021 7:19 AM in response to Norway 4

We're glad to hear that removing your VPN connection from the Login items helped! Apple knows how important connecting with a VPN is though, so be sure it was set up correctly: Set up a VPN connection on Mac - Apple Support

Also, make sure that your router is using these Apple recommended settings: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

How to contact an app developer - Apple Support -- If you’re still unable to use the Remote app while connected to Norton VPN, you should reach out to them for more help.

Have a great day!

May 14, 2021 1:01 PM in response to Norway 4

Hi there Norway 4,

It appears that you're having a problem accessing the music library on your iMac using the Remote app on your iPhone. You can play music, but not able to add songs to Up Next, and we're glad to provide assistance.

Since your Mac is up to date, make sure your iPhone is as well. The current iOS version is 14.5.1. You can see which one your iPhone is using by going to Settings > General > About: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you haven't already tried, restart both your Mac and iPhone and see if the connection improves.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support -- If restarting your devices didn't resolve the issue, restart your Mac in safe mode to see if they'll connect better. It does take more time to restart your Mac in safe mode since it's performing some basic functions to make sure everything is set. Once your done testing in safe mode, restart your Mac normally.

New user or group setup - Apple Support -- If the problem also occurs in safe mode, create a new admin account and test it there.

Let us know how that goes.

All the best.

May 15, 2021 2:53 PM in response to Norway 4

Thanks for getting back to us with that information, Norway 4. It's very helpful.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support -- Scroll down to the section titled "If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode” for the steps when the issue returns after you leave safe mode. This may also correct the album artwork issue as well.

Feel free to get back to us with any questions or problems you may have.

Take care.

May 15, 2021 1:32 PM in response to SnickZ.

Thanks for helping me, SnickZ. I followed all your instructions. The iOS on my iPhone XR is up-to-date, as is my Mac OS. When I start the Mac in safe mode, the problem resolves. When I go back and do a normal restart, the problem reappears.

What now? How do I determine what is causing the issue?

PS - one other symptom is that album artwork does not display for individual songs, but the little thumbnails are there in the Up Next list. It is weird that I have partial functionality.

Apple Music Remote app on iPhone stuck on Loading...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.