Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Advice on 32-bit applications: parallels or unsupported install of High Sierra?

Hey all,

Just got my new MacBook Pro 16,1 and while excited, I got a blow when I realized I couldn't install the Adobe CC applications that the other Macs in my office run. This means we can't collaborate on files as the new CC applications save in a different format than the old (this is totally ridiculous and Adobe deserves to be punished severely for this).

Since I work in Adobe CC on files with others on a constant basis, this is a serious problem. The older macs in the office can not be upgraded due to lack of support for High Sierra.

I see my two options are:

1. Run the old Adobe CC apps in Parallels on my Catalina machine. Has anyone tried this with apps like Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator? Can they share the same file paths so links in inDesign are not messed up? Performance OK?
  2. Convince the others in the office to install High Sierra using the unsupported patch of High Sierra and upgrade their Adobe CC apps to 2020. Anyone done this? I think the other machines are Mac Pro 3,1 with updated graphics cards (NVIDIA GE Force 5600). I think the graphics card is compatible with High Sierra.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Potentially a third option would be to downgrade Catalina to Mojave but I am not sure that is even possible on a MacBook Pro 16,1. From my research on the web, it sounds like it is not. Anyone know anything about this? Maybe a dual boot?

If neither of these works I may have to return this new MacBook Pro and get an older machine that can run Mojave off ebay :(

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 9:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2019 10:27 PM

An Update: we were able to upgrade the older Mac Pros in the office to a patched version of High Sierra as well as install the newer 2020 Adobe CC apps. They seemed to run beautifully and the machines seem like they are new again!

Maybe we will get a little more life out of them!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2019 10:27 PM in response to Jessek

An Update: we were able to upgrade the older Mac Pros in the office to a patched version of High Sierra as well as install the newer 2020 Adobe CC apps. They seemed to run beautifully and the machines seem like they are new again!

Maybe we will get a little more life out of them!

Advice on 32-bit applications: parallels or unsupported install of High Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.