Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not enough space to update WatchOS 6.6.6

I get an alert saying that I must delete Watch apps to recover enough space for update. I need 1.2 GB and have 928 available. I only have Apple Apps left and only two take up significant space: Music 653 MB and Activity 417 MB. I have no idea what is taking up the rest of the space. I have no music downloaded to the watch, so unsure why the Music app is using so much space.

I tried "offloading" the Music App off the phone, hoping it would delete the app on the watch (it didn't). The Music icon also remained on the phone, so "offloading" the app clearly doesn't actually remove the app. I would prefer to keep the 30 GB of music on the phone, while deleting the app on the phone and the watch, but it apparently doesn't work.

It seems crazy that I would need to delete Apple apps to simply update the Watch OS... any suggestions?

David

Apple Watch Series 3, 6

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 9:06 AM

Thanks!

This worked, but somewhat different than (I think) you described.

I un-paired, then re-paired the watch, but never was offered the chance to update the OS during the process -- perhaps I missed something. However, this process cleared out much of the storage on the watch and I could then apply the update. For example, the Music app went from 653 mb to essentially zero. There was no music downloaded to the watch, so I am unsure what the 653 mb consisted of.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2019 9:06 AM in response to Community User

Thanks!

I un-paired, then re-paired the watch, but never was offered the chance to update the OS during the process -- perhaps I missed something. However, this process cleared out much of the storage on the watch and I could then apply the update. For example, the Music app went from 653 mb to essentially zero. There was no music downloaded to the watch, so I am unsure what the 653 mb consisted of.

Dec 12, 2019 6:50 AM in response to David Strait

Unpair your Apple Watch via the Watch app on your iPhone.

Then Re-pair your Apple Watch, choosing either to Restore from Backup or setting up as a new watch in either case, you will be offered the update if there is one as part of the process.

Dec 12, 2019 9:09 AM in response to Community User

Thanks!

edit: Sorry... tried to credit your reply with "solved" but accidentally added it to my post! Don't see how to change it.

Not enough space to update WatchOS 6.6.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.