Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Storage Issues

For a while now, but specifically ever since updating to watchOS 8 (now 8.1), my Apple Watch has been having storage issues.

I noticed none of my music was downloaded so I checked the Watch app to find that my “media storage was full”… This was new to me, I have over 8GB free so why wouldn’t I be able to use that? Besides that, I didn’t even have any media on the Watch in the first place!

I got frustrated and gave up.

Fast forward a couple months to today. I want music on my watch.

The out of media storage banner was there and randomly disappeared a couple minutes ago, however, my storage says 7GB used, and after counting my apps, they use a grand total of 537MB combined, and Music is taking over 200MB for some reason, even though there is no music downloaded?

I know watchOS takes up space, but according to the chart, it’s not the majority of what is supposedly “used”.

Maybe by some miracle my music will download now—time will tell (will check in the morning)—but what’s with all this “used” storage that I’m clearly not using and why the “media storage limit” (which seems to have bugs)?

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 8

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 9:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 5:57 PM

Unfortunately, the link did not provide any help, but the issue suddenly seems to have resolved itself. When trying to add playlists to my Apple Watch via the Watch app, it no longer says "out of media storage", which is promising.

Now I just have to try and get the Watch to actually download the music overnight. I will update this if it still won't download.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2021 5:57 PM in response to Brian_P7

Unfortunately, the link did not provide any help, but the issue suddenly seems to have resolved itself. When trying to add playlists to my Apple Watch via the Watch app, it no longer says "out of media storage", which is promising.

Now I just have to try and get the Watch to actually download the music overnight. I will update this if it still won't download.

Dec 4, 2021 4:47 PM in response to Lon3lyWanderer

Hey there, and welcome to Apple Support Communities Lon3lyWanderer,

From our understanding, your Apple Watch is showing your media storage being full when you still have available space. We can certainly understand your concern and can help provide some insight.

We recommend checking out this link for more information on using media storage for your Apple Watch: Listen to music, podcasts, and audiobooks on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you are still having issues with this matter, then we recommend contacting us directly for additional help. Check out this link on how to contact us: Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

Kindest regards!

Apple Watch Storage Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.