Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete Pictures under "/System/Library/Desktop Pictures" MacOS Catalina. MacBookPro.

The Pictures folder at "/System/Library/Desktop Pictures" has grown to an ABSURD 2.1GB, with several files like "Mojave Day.heic" reaching 287MB, among others.

I DO need to free up space in my SSD. I don't need any of these files, my background is a solid black. Period.

I tried sudo in a terminal, and also tried changing the permissions in the folder "info" window, to no avail.

I am using a MacBook pro Early 2015, with MacOS Catalina 10.15.2 installed.

Please, let us know how to delete the files in that folder.

Thank you for your help.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 1:33 PM

an ABSURD 2.1GB,

Say what, 2.1 GB is not much at all (?)

You do not have r/w privileges on the /System

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina

You have full privledges in your user/home folder—here you can have at it.

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

8 replies

Dec 12, 2019 2:20 PM in response to iar747

iar747 wrote:

Very disappointing, the handling of the issue and the responses from your team.
In programming we call a process that keeps growing out of control a memory leak. Here you have a folder that keeps growing to the GB level with useless unwanted junk files. That is just plain bad design, and even worst its your handling of the issue.
Best Regards.

You can make your voice heard here: Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Dec 12, 2019 1:58 PM in response to leroydouglas

Apple: You do not have r/w privileges on the /System

iar747: Thanks, I knew that. Still the question remains, how do you delete the files in this folder?

Apple: 2.1 GB is not much (?)

iar747: YES, I do believe it's big, for just a wallpaper folder. But it is not so much the fact that the folder is big or not. It's the fact that every time I update the OS, the new update will keep adding files to this folder and growing infinitely, and so far there is nothing I can do about it.

In cases like this, it's better to show that there is a flaw/bug/issue/feature request. Then log it, and show that it will be fixed in future releases. NOT good to try to suggest or convince the customer if the folder is big or not...

iar747: Then I ask again. Is there a way to delete the files in this folder or not, and how do you do it. That is a clear and straightforward question. Please answer it. Thank You.

Dec 12, 2019 2:18 PM in response to leroydouglas

Very disappointing, the handling of the issue and the responses from your team.

In programming we call a process that keeps growing out of control a memory leak. Here you have a folder that keeps growing to the GB level with useless unwanted junk files. That is just plain bad design, and even worst its your handling of the issue.

Best Regards.

Delete Pictures under "/System/Library/Desktop Pictures" MacOS Catalina. MacBookPro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.