Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.15.2 has broken tethered capture

16-inch Macbook Pro

10.15.1 tethered capture with Canon 5DMK4 bodies worked fine with C1Pro 20 and 12 as well as Canon EOS Utility.

After 10.15.2 update EOS utility just hangs and crashes and C1Pro cannot access cameras for tethered shooting. Tested and confirmed broke with Canon and Fuji bodies.

uninstalled/reinstalled C1pro and EOS utility.

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2019 2:48 AM

After about 2 hours at phone with Apple Support Italy here the results:

We have created a new Administator Account on my MacBook Pro and magically everything returns to life, tether my A7rIII works with every app installed (Sony Remote, C1Pro 20, Lightroom 9.1, Darktable). So Apple Support tell me that maybe there's something wrong with permission in my account.

So we turn back to my account and tried to reset permission with this procedure: 

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203538 

then I restarted my Macbook. 

C1Pro 20 and Darktable finally see my Sony and now I can work again  

The only one app that doesn't work yet is Sony Remote, but this is another mistery.

39 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2019 2:48 AM in response to titleunknown

After about 2 hours at phone with Apple Support Italy here the results:

We have created a new Administator Account on my MacBook Pro and magically everything returns to life, tether my A7rIII works with every app installed (Sony Remote, C1Pro 20, Lightroom 9.1, Darktable). So Apple Support tell me that maybe there's something wrong with permission in my account.

So we turn back to my account and tried to reset permission with this procedure: 

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203538 

then I restarted my Macbook. 

C1Pro 20 and Darktable finally see my Sony and now I can work again  

The only one app that doesn't work yet is Sony Remote, but this is another mistery.

Dec 17, 2019 12:07 PM in response to titleunknown

titleunknown Said:

"10.15.2 has broken tethered capture: 16-inch Macbook Pro: 10.15.1 tethered capture with Canon 5DMK4 bodies worked fine with C1Pro 20 and 12 as well as Canon EOS Utility. After 10.15.2 update EOS utility just hangs and crashes and C1Pro cannot access cameras for tethered shooting. Tested and confirmed broke with Canon and Fuji bodies. uninstalled/reinstalled C1pro and EOS utility. "

-------

32-Bit Only App Compatibility is the Issue:

The issue is that this program is 32-bit only. It is incompatible with 64-bit-only operating systems (10.14 and thereafter). Learn More at this Site: EOS Utility 3.8.20 for Mac OS X - Canon Support. It reads, compatibility:

At this Point, Either...

• use this with High Sierra, or...
  • await a new driver and firmware update to be provided by Canon.

If this were, me I would: just create a New Partition for High Sierra, or use it on my older Mac. Installing it from...

Feb 3, 2020 12:33 AM in response to titleunknown

Hello, Im a Sony and Canon user.

I can confirm that the update 10.15.3 resolved the issues with the Canon cameras & EOS Utility V2 (Canon 7D).

Sadly not the case for Sony's Remote app, it doesnt work at all.

When connecting the Sony A7III over Micro-USB, here is the symptoms :

• 30 seconds of intermittent connection, charging / not charging state, likely the same symptoms experienced by iPhones and other phones when charging on your Retina MBPs.
  • Stable state, the camera is charging normally, then the camera shows up in Remote :

• Then i try to launch the tethering, totally normal

• 1-5 seconds later, the camera isn't

Needless to say that it is programmed for the PC remote, and yet nothing, even on LR Classic doesn't work !

Apple, on behalf of all the professionals out there, you messed up hard this time !!

I'm certainly going back to High Sierra, i miss Finder's CoverFlow too !

Feb 3, 2020 1:17 AM in response to Mahmoud_Benkirane

A lesson here for professional users whether it be MacOS or Windoze.

You were given the choice of upgrading or not

You were strongly recommended to take backups

You had the opportunity to research this forum and also the wider web to see what possible problems your mac might experience.

You could have taken a non-work day to test out Catalina and subsequent incremental updates and within  hours work out if it was for you or not. i.e. keep or revert.

Apple make it easy for you to revert to the original OS, even publishing simple instructions and a free Time Machine program, the best backup app on the market.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh15216/mac

I did all the above researching and testing, and apart from a problem with an old version of an app it went smoothly. IMO the fastest MacOS ever. 

I worked for a London civil engineering company when they moved from Windoze 3.1 to Windoze95. It was a six month project to test and convert. Every single app (before the word was invented) had to be tested and signed off.

If you just pushed the “Install” button to get the latest Thing with no research, no preparation, no test plan and no backout plan then you will have to accept the “I can no longer work” situation with a red face.

Dec 16, 2019 8:29 AM in response to Juhann

No drivers are required to get DSLRs connected on macOS. It has always worked with tethering capture in software like Lightroom, CaptureOne and others...

Phase One, Canon, Fuji, Adobe... No one has the solution. The only solution founded by these companies are to rollback to 10.15.1 or reinstall the macOS system... It's an Apple system driver problem.

Apple has broken the connectivity of all software and camera devices with it's update, and all professionals are impacted.

It's very important for Apple to make an update, for professionals like me to continue working !!!

(sorry for my bad english)

Dec 17, 2019 2:41 AM in response to titleunknown

10.15.2 has also broken the Fujifilm Tether Plugin Pro for MacOS in Lightroom Classic 9.1.

It was tethering fine by USB 2 days ago on 10.15.1, but since 10.15.2 none of my macs have been able to detect either my X-H1or X-pro3 (latest firmware). And I've got a tethered studio shoot lined up for tomorrow... or not, now. Lightroom just hangs on "detecting camera" before giving up.

Adobe blame Apple, Fuji blames Apple, I guess Capture One blame Apple too.

Please can we have a fix asap?

Dec 17, 2019 12:16 PM in response to TheLittles

This is not a 32bit app compatibility issue.

First, EOS Utility and tethering in other apps worked in Catalina 10.15.1 that was already 64bit only, and second, it's not an EOS Utility problem because in Wi-Fi mode it's working (very slowly, but it works...), and the problem is the same in Lightroom or CaptureOne, with Canon, Sony, Fuji and other cameras, with no EOS Utility or special drivers needed to work in these apps...

This is only a macOS native driver problem, and hope that Apple will quickly solve this problem.

Dec 21, 2019 12:35 AM in response to titleunknown

Same problem here. Initially thought was a software issue and removed all settings, reinstalled all software, no solution. Then found this post as well as the announcements on software support pages. I’m using a Canon EOS 100D.

Hey Apple, this is my hobby but what’s the damage to everyone who works with photography?

Please, do fix this quickly in next update!

10.15.2 has broken tethered capture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.