Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot swipe to return to list in Mail since iOS 13.3

Up to iOS 12, when reading an e-mail message in Mail, I could easily swipe from the left screen border to return to the messages list, just like in any other app when you open an item in a list.

Since I have updated to iOS 13, a new Archive purple button sometimes appeared when performing the gesture, which was annoying.

Now, with iOS 13.3, there is no way to return to the messages list; the purple Archive button always appears, no matter how hard I try to properly swipe from the screen border. The only option to return to the list is to use the upper left arrow button, which is out of reach when holding the iPhone with one hand.

I guess this is a bug, as I have tried disabling the right swipe gesture and it only disables the purple button, and I still cannot return to the list.

iPhone 11

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 4:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 1:32 AM

Some updates on the issue.

It is now working as it was before... I haven't done anything particular to my iPhone (except maybe one more reboot) and now the swipe gesture properly works : it returns to the list when the gesture is done from the screen edge and it shows the Archive button when the gesture is performed from the middle of the screen.

Thank you.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2019 1:32 AM in response to jrlaff

Some updates on the issue.

It is now working as it was before... I haven't done anything particular to my iPhone (except maybe one more reboot) and now the swipe gesture properly works : it returns to the list when the gesture is done from the screen edge and it shows the Archive button when the gesture is performed from the middle of the screen.

Thank you.

Dec 13, 2019 5:13 AM in response to SravanKrA

The main Inbox e-mail list. But the issue occurs for any e-mail list:

1. Browse through the list of messages
  2. Press one message to open it.

At that point, a swipe from the left edge of the screen used to simply return to the list (the list at step 1) brings the purple Archive button and does not return to the list.

Dec 13, 2019 4:53 AM in response to jrlaff

I am not sure which list are you referring to.

Move between your mailboxes

By default, your email account has a few different mailboxes — like Inbox, Sent, Trash, and more. When you open the Mail app, you'll see a list of the email accounts that you have set up on your device. Just tap the email account that you want to view, or tap your account name in the upper-left corner to go back to all your mailboxes.

Watch the GIF for more

Cannot swipe to return to list in Mail since iOS 13.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.