Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Classes

Do I need my own computer to take a Mac class? I want to take the class before making a purchasing decision.

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 8:11 AM

10 replies

Dec 13, 2019 9:11 AM in response to thrillseeker239

If you have an Apple-owned store available, they should post a schedule online of Mac seminars and classes held in the store every week. The selection changes all the time. Most classes are free and do not require any special equipment. They are listed for your specific store under "Today At Apple".

However, "having a problem to solve" tends to make such classes far more tangible, and the information will stick with you better that without.

There is a growing group of videos on Apple's You tube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/applesupport

and online articles here:

New to Mac - Official Apple Support

Dec 14, 2019 10:17 PM in response to thrillseeker239

I happened to be in an Apple store waiting to pick up a purchase when they started a class. That one was specifically about using the Photos app and everyone had their own device. The Apple rep told people to launch the app and then had them import a photo, etc. In other words, that class definitely required having your own device or it would not be all that helpful. So, when you are searching for a class, make sure it is not necessarily about one app or process.

Dec 15, 2019 4:13 PM in response to deggie

yes they do provide equipment during the Today at Apple classes

Really? That sounds great, but I've witnessed several different classes over time and I've only seen people bring their own. The employee puts up a very large monitor projecting his laptop finder window (or whatever) to start and tells the people to follow his lead.

Dec 15, 2019 5:35 PM in response to deggie

I think it was in mid October when I saw it last - I walked in for a pickup, but the guy at the door did not sign me in (even though he said he had), so I was sitting there for a while; after about 30 min. I flagged someone down and he found that I was not in the queue and then took care of me quickly. So, I had quite a bit of time to observe.

Dec 15, 2019 10:15 PM in response to babowa

A lot of people bring their own, more so to iPhone sessions. They started offering MBPs for people wanting to take a Mac class but not bring in a 27” iMac. I haven’t seen them not offer a device since the kids classes started with Today at Apple. In several sessions people have their own device but the Apple employee usually brings them out just in case.

Mac Classes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.