Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No longer have permission on /

Since macos catalnia 10.15 I no longer have write permission on the / directory on the OS even if I am root on the system. This is a breaking change - how do I revert or workaround this.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 4:03 PM

That's part of the new OS's security efforts to protect the Mac system. The access to the system folders is restricted. It's not a user accessible location.

There are two volumes: Macintosh an Macintosh-Data. The Data volume is the user's working volume. The other is strictly verboten to the user. I've renamed my drive Toad Hall so this is what Disk Utility sees:

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2019 4:03 PM in response to tballantyne

That's part of the new OS's security efforts to protect the Mac system. The access to the system folders is restricted. It's not a user accessible location.

There are two volumes: Macintosh an Macintosh-Data. The Data volume is the user's working volume. The other is strictly verboten to the user. I've renamed my drive Toad Hall so this is what Disk Utility sees:

No longer have permission on /

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.