Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Capturing Hi8 and miniDV tapes into IMovie (on a MacBook Air)

I have many, many old Hi8 and miniDV tapes, and I’d like to digitize them via IMovie. I realize I’ll have to buy a thunderbolt to FireWire adapter, but once I have that, can I simply hook up the old camcorders & capture in IMovie?

I searched the community page for a similar question, but all discussions were ~12 years old. So before I invest in adapters, I’d appreciate a current answer from someone in the know. Thank you in advance.

MacBook

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2019 9:17 AM

The success rate of transferring video from DV tape into iMovie 10 seems to have diminished somewhat with the more recent OS's. There have been some posts on here over the last couple of years where audio is not captured with the video or that neither audio or video is being captured. There doesn't seem to be a particular reason for this as no doubt there are many others who do have success. Also to note, that the Apple help on iMovie 10 states that tape can be captured, so Apple does expect it to work. Just saying that peoples experiences do vary.

If you have access to iMovie version 9 running on El Capitan or earlier then I would say that you would be able to capture the DV tape and use Hi8 via passthrough without problems.

Depending on your Mac, apart from the FireWire 4 pin to 9 pin cable ,you would need up to two more cables if your Mac does not have a FireWire port. A FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter.About $29

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD464ZM/A/thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapter

And a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) adapter. About $49

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MMEL2ZM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter.

The second one is needed for the more recent Macs.There is not an adapter for FireWire straight to USB-C.

Now assuming that you are using iMovie 10.

If you are unable to capture DV tape into iMovie then you could try to capture using QuickTime .This has worked for some on here where iMovie has failed. One long clip will be generated rather than the individual scene breaks that iMovie would detect. Look at the record feature in this.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201066

Now for the Hi8 tapes.

If your DV camcorder does have the pass through feature, then you would need to set this feature up on the camcorder menu.

As you would be using the DV output port on the camcorder then you would need the same cables as above.

You would need to try importing using QuickTime Player, as mentioned before, as it is very unlikely that you could use iMovie for pass through.This is because time code may not be present from the pass through which iMovie 10 requires.

You could try iMovie first since your cam' just may provide time code for pass through.

As you have many Hi8 and DV tapes then I can see the attraction in getting these onto your Mac, and the dilemma is of course whether you can achieve this after spending may be up to $80/£80 on adapters.

Let us know what year Mac you have, model and the OS, as the more info the better and also if you have an older Mac with say iMovie 9 or even 6. If a friend has an older Mac with older iMovie that you could borrow then you could use their Mac with an external drive to capture. You return their Mac and you keep the external drive to work with.You would probably need an external drive anyway to capture as you have many tapes......13 GB per hour of DV tape.

Access to an older Mac/iMovie with a FireWire port would be ideal.

If I were in your shoes I would visit an Apple Store ( hopefully you have one convenient to you) and have a chat with one of their advisors.Explain what you want to do and ask if the adapters could be returned to the store in "as new" condition if you are not successful with the capture.

The output quality can be quite good, better if the cam' recorded in SP rather than long play.

Also better if the camcorders you use for tape capture into iMovie are the same camcorders that did the recording.

The DV will be better of course than the Hi8 but we have all now got used to HD e.t.c so looking back at standard def may take some getting used to. But it is what it is.

Let us know what kit you have or what you may be able to borrow( OS and iMovie version ) and also model of the DV camcorder.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2019 9:17 AM in response to Davidoldschoolvideoguy

The success rate of transferring video from DV tape into iMovie 10 seems to have diminished somewhat with the more recent OS's. There have been some posts on here over the last couple of years where audio is not captured with the video or that neither audio or video is being captured. There doesn't seem to be a particular reason for this as no doubt there are many others who do have success. Also to note, that the Apple help on iMovie 10 states that tape can be captured, so Apple does expect it to work. Just saying that peoples experiences do vary.

If you have access to iMovie version 9 running on El Capitan or earlier then I would say that you would be able to capture the DV tape and use Hi8 via passthrough without problems.

Depending on your Mac, apart from the FireWire 4 pin to 9 pin cable ,you would need up to two more cables if your Mac does not have a FireWire port. A FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter.About $29

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD464ZM/A/thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapter

And a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) adapter. About $49

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MMEL2ZM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter.

The second one is needed for the more recent Macs.There is not an adapter for FireWire straight to USB-C.

Now assuming that you are using iMovie 10.

If you are unable to capture DV tape into iMovie then you could try to capture using QuickTime .This has worked for some on here where iMovie has failed. One long clip will be generated rather than the individual scene breaks that iMovie would detect. Look at the record feature in this.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201066

Now for the Hi8 tapes.

If your DV camcorder does have the pass through feature, then you would need to set this feature up on the camcorder menu.

As you would be using the DV output port on the camcorder then you would need the same cables as above.

You would need to try importing using QuickTime Player, as mentioned before, as it is very unlikely that you could use iMovie for pass through.This is because time code may not be present from the pass through which iMovie 10 requires.

You could try iMovie first since your cam' just may provide time code for pass through.

As you have many Hi8 and DV tapes then I can see the attraction in getting these onto your Mac, and the dilemma is of course whether you can achieve this after spending may be up to $80/£80 on adapters.

Let us know what year Mac you have, model and the OS, as the more info the better and also if you have an older Mac with say iMovie 9 or even 6. If a friend has an older Mac with older iMovie that you could borrow then you could use their Mac with an external drive to capture. You return their Mac and you keep the external drive to work with.You would probably need an external drive anyway to capture as you have many tapes......13 GB per hour of DV tape.

Access to an older Mac/iMovie with a FireWire port would be ideal.

If I were in your shoes I would visit an Apple Store ( hopefully you have one convenient to you) and have a chat with one of their advisors.Explain what you want to do and ask if the adapters could be returned to the store in "as new" condition if you are not successful with the capture.

The output quality can be quite good, better if the cam' recorded in SP rather than long play.

Also better if the camcorders you use for tape capture into iMovie are the same camcorders that did the recording.

The DV will be better of course than the Hi8 but we have all now got used to HD e.t.c so looking back at standard def may take some getting used to. But it is what it is.

Let us know what kit you have or what you may be able to borrow( OS and iMovie version ) and also model of the DV camcorder.

Dec 13, 2019 8:36 PM in response to Davidoldschoolvideoguy

You can import from DV tape directly into iMovie because DV is digital. Here's a help menu note that explains the process:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov6af9c94c1

Hi8, however, is analogue and needs to be converted to digital with an analogue to digital converter before it can be imported into your Mac. Take a look at this link for more info:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00024863

-- Rich

Dec 13, 2019 9:33 PM in response to Davidoldschoolvideoguy

No, I have not converted old camcorder footage myself, so can’t provide personal experience there. There is a contributor to this forum, thesurreyfriends, whom I believe is knowledgeable in this area. Hopefully thesurreyfriends, or other knowledgeable contributor will chime in here.

I seem to recall that some camcorders have the capacity to convert analog to digital, and if yours is one of them you should be able to pass through your Hi8 footage. But, again, I have not done that procedure myself so cannot be definitive. You might try doing a test with a short piece of footage. Your DV recorder’s user manual might be of help as well.

If no one with experience chimes in, try searching on You Tube. You likely will find numerous tutorials there.

There can be mixed results with the quality, depending on the condition of your tapes. With mini DV there can be audio problems, such as no sound in some cases. No way to know until you try it out.

Sorry I can’t be of more help. Hopefully I have pointed you in the right direction.

— Rich

Capturing Hi8 and miniDV tapes into IMovie (on a MacBook Air)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.