Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert m4a files in itunes library to mp3 files

How can I use itunes to convert the m4a files to mp3 files?

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Dec 14, 2019 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2019 3:36 AM

The import from CD setting must be set to mp3 so that you can convert to mp3. Once you have that set, select the song in question and click on File/Convert/Create MP3 version.

I know this doesn't sound correct, but it is. Until you set the import from CD setting correctly, the option to create mp3 version will not be there. Look in Edit / Preferences / General > When you insert a CD > Import Settings > Import Using.

Notice the Import Settings button to the right of the orange-ringed area in the picture above.

The Import Using screen is pictured below:

Please ask if that doesn't make sense.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2019 3:36 AM in response to Wazilla

The import from CD setting must be set to mp3 so that you can convert to mp3. Once you have that set, select the song in question and click on File/Convert/Create MP3 version.

I know this doesn't sound correct, but it is. Until you set the import from CD setting correctly, the option to create mp3 version will not be there. Look in Edit / Preferences / General > When you insert a CD > Import Settings > Import Using.

Notice the Import Settings button to the right of the orange-ringed area in the picture above.

The Import Using screen is pictured below:

Please ask if that doesn't make sense.

Convert m4a files in itunes library to mp3 files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.