Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13 and language support

I am learning four languages using primarily Duolingo. I thought iOS 13 would be great because they advertise the following:

Automatic language selection in Dictation

Dictation automatically detects which language a user is speaking. The language will be chosen from the keyboard languages enabled on the device, up to a maximum of four.

The problem is that it does not work, not even close. I can verbally talk in a sentence and the program recognizes it, but then it will autocorrect into a completed garbled version in another language that is not even selected.

Anyone else having this issue. Apple if you are watching. PLEASE FIX THIS. it is very frustrating. iOS 12 worked great until you got over your skis trying to do more that you had the ability to perform.

Posted on Dec 14, 2019 3:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 7:36 AM

JonD wrote:

I know how to switch between the keyboard languages.

I was talking about holding down the microphone button, not the globe button for keyboards. Does it still malfunction when you select a language from the microphone button?

Similar questions

6 replies

Dec 17, 2019 2:52 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

That’s ridiculous when you think about the fact that it was doing it by itself before. And to make things even more crazy, the written keyboard and dictation are completely separate. Switching to another language on one does not switch it to the other. This is crazy when toggling between English and Hebrew as they are written in opposite directions, so if I try to correct a dictation or typed word it takes repeated attempts to do so—as you don’t know which way the correction key will erase. Or try putting in an additional word and it end up on the wrong end of the sentence. This is insane.

iOS 13 and language support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.