You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installer Fails when installing software

Hi,

I am trying to install Office 2019 Home and Business on my new Machine, and the installer fails every time. I have been on the phone with Microsoft for hours and they have pretty much come to the conclusion that it has to be something on my machine. The Installer says "The Installation failed. The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

I have plenty of space on my machine, I have deleted all prior versions of office, I have restarted my machine many times, I have tried to install it in Safe Mode, I don't have the firewall on and I don't have any antivirus. I really have tried all I/Microsoft support can think of. Another interesting thing is that their remote access support software won't work on my computer, as the pop-ups for me to allow them to control my computer/view my screen don't show up nor show up in system preferences. Another interesting fact is that the installer also fails when I try to update my Java. The error in that instance is "The install failed. (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. The operation couldn't be completed. No such file or directory)"

I have verified with Microsoft that my download and key are good.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am completely stumped. Let me know if I can clarify anything for you.

MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel i7 running macOS Catalina 10.15.1

Below is the install.log:

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 15, 2019 4:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2019 5:01 PM

A few more thoughts:

Try this on a new Administrator User Account.

Make sure you are using 64-Bit Version

Restore your Mac to a previously-made Time Machine Backup.

Ask for a new key and installation software. Perhaps, it is already used, or the application installation software is corrupted.

Similar questions

8 replies

Dec 15, 2019 6:19 PM in response to wmathews

wmathews Said:

"[...]It does appear as if my user volume and system volume have been split into partitions. Thank you for all your help."

-------

You are Welcome :)

Second Volume-Down (Last on the List).

Seeing Two Volumes, is how it should look (in Catalina). One is for the macOS itself and the other is for the Data. That should play no roll in this, except the name: install MS Office on the Data volume (Second Volume Down). It is probably named "Macintosh HD - Data"

So...

1. Fist and Foremost - Back Up

Back up your Mac with Time Machine, incase anything wrong happens from here on out.

2. Run First Aid

Select all 4 items on the left, scanning them with Fist Aid, found atop the letters "Ma" atop the Disk Utility window.

3. Update your macOS to 10.15.2:

As for the vision of Catalina you have installed, it is 10.15.1. Install an update to: 10.15.2 (the most recent version of this). But, first.

4. Finally... Two Volumes:

Install MS Office 2019 on the Second Volume-Down (Last on the List).

Dec 15, 2019 5:53 PM in response to wmathews

Would this be a potential problem/solution?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cannot-install-anything-on-catalina-10-15-1.2213004/

It does appear as if my user volume and system volume have been split into partitions. When I run "file /private/tmp" in terminal I also receive "/private/tmp: broken symbolic link to private/tmp"

Thank you for all your help.

Dec 15, 2019 4:46 PM in response to wmathews

wmathews Said:

———-

Any Security Software Installed?

If you are unable to Install Software; If you are unable to perform a screenshare session(don’t with MS BTW, as they’ll have full control of your Mac); and are unable to make use of Java... then Security Software seems to be installed.

Rid of All Security Software:

Security Software is unneeded on a Mac, and just gets in the way. Use the Uninstaller Application of the Security Software, as just dragging-and-dropping it into the trash does not rid of everything. Once removed, restart the Mac, then try this once more.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.