You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Selecting the correct keyboard

Hello, I can identify my keyboard on my 2014 MacBook Pro 13 retina as "English, International - (Z)" from the images provided in the support pages - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201794. However, It is unclear which specific keyboard layout to select from the "Input Sources" page in preferences. There are many keyboard layouts that appear to be identical to me:

ABC

ABC - Extended

U.S.

U.S. International - PC.

How can I confirm which is the default keyboard layout to match my keyboard.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 2:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 4:19 AM

For whichever language you have or are using, there should be a flag icon on the right side of the tool bar to indicate your chosen language.

Click on the flag and a drop down list will appear. Click on the chosen language. then click on 'Show keyboard viewer'.

For instance, if you chose British - PC, you would see this as the appropriate keyboard: 

This is the full sized keyboard layout for a desktop PC. Obviously, a laptop keyboard is less contrived.

Hope this helps.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 16, 2019 4:19 AM in response to vernhs

For whichever language you have or are using, there should be a flag icon on the right side of the tool bar to indicate your chosen language.

Click on the flag and a drop down list will appear. Click on the chosen language. then click on 'Show keyboard viewer'.

For instance, if you chose British - PC, you would see this as the appropriate keyboard: 

This is the full sized keyboard layout for a desktop PC. Obviously, a laptop keyboard is less contrived.

Hope this helps.

Dec 16, 2019 10:44 AM in response to vernhs

vernhs wrote: Are you aware of any collateral that explains it all; that I might be able to select the keyboard that best suites my needs?

Which keyboard to use depends mainly on what need you have for accented characters. ABC (or US) lets you type English and common W. European languages. ABC Extended lets you type a much wider range of Latin scripts, including transliterated Arabic, Chinese, Hindi, etc. US International PC is really for Windows users who have switched to Mac but gotten used to the US International keyboard on Windows machines to make accented characters needed for common W. European languages.

A guide to the capabilities of ABC and ABC Extended for accents and other special characters can be found at

https://sites.psu.edu/symbolcodes/mac/codemac/

Dec 16, 2019 4:45 AM in response to vernhs

vernhs wrote: There are many keyboard layouts that appear to be identical to me:

ABC and US are identical, except US will have an American Flag in the top right corner if you have more than one keyboard active.

ABC Extended is the same as ABC and US, except that it lets you create a lot more accented characters via the Option key.

US International PC is somewhat different, because it uses the keys ' " ~ ` ^ as deadkeys to create accented characters. You have to type a space after the key to get the character on its own.

They will all match the printing on your keyboard.

Dec 16, 2019 8:09 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thank you. This is very much in line with what I discovered with some experimentation. Are you aware of any collateral that explains it all; that I might be able to select the keyboard that best suites my needs? I've currently simply selected the ABC keyboard; it's at the top of the list and doesn't leave me with a star bangled banner in my system tray. It would be nice IMO if the software simply detected the keyboard, but I suspect that the keyboards are mechanical identical even if the keys are printed differently.

Selecting the correct keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.