Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How export Standard Def

I still need to produce standard def videos. I used to author standard dvds using mpeg 2 but I would prefer to encode it as a Mpeg 4 H.264 that could be burned to a data dvd or uploaded so it can be played on any pc.

The problem I don’t see any settings in Compressor for Standard Def Mpeg 4. There is settings for Apple devices but it wants to change the resolution to from 720x 480 to 640x480 it doesn’t all you to control the pixel aspect ie video aspect gets changed. I’m also concerned it will playback on non Apple devices.

I was able to find an Mpeg 4 preset but when I use that it doesn’t include audio with the video for some reason.

I’d like to be able to edit my standard def videos in FCPX but if there’s no easy way to export it I’ll have to find another editing software...

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 9:39 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Dec 16, 2019 11:49 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Here's the issue:

1. In order to create a custom preset you need to copy an existing preset. The only preset for MPEG4 is a transport stream, so there is no option to include audio.
  2. There are other presets that include audio but these are MOV Quicktime. While you could uses these to upload the video to Vimeo, they are not good for other forms of distribution like data dvd, usb flash drive, or DropBox, because Apple no longer supports Quicktime for windows. If you send the video to a client with windows they most likely will not have Quicktime and will not be able to play it.
  3. Seems like a bad idea to have to encode it once using Compressor then have to re-compress it in another software.

Dec 16, 2019 9:55 AM in response to Jetsmac

Apple Devices doesn't support non-square pixel aspects. They're always square pixel formats. Do you really want to export and share non-square pixels for users who may well view the material on a computer or mobile device? 640x480 is the square pixel version of standard DV. The user should not be aware of any difference if the pixels are handled correctly; the display of 720x480 should be identical to 640x480.

If you really want 720x480 you can make a custom preset for MPEG-4 in Compressor and use it in FCP or send to Compressor, whichever you prefer.

How export Standard Def

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.