Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OAuth and Gmail in iOS, MacOS eta al.

Looks like Gmail will be OAuth authentication only from around June 2020 only for new accounts and Feb 2021 for existing acts. The recommendation from google is to remove and Re-add accounts as follows.

• If you are using the mail app on iOS or MacOS, or Outlook for Mac, and use only a password to login, you’ll need to remove and re-add your account. When you add it back, select “sign in with Google” to automatically use OAuth.”

I have hundreds of thousands of emails on IMAP and a slow web connection and I’m thinking this is going to be a nightmare to resync.

Is there any work around for getting the authentication type changed without having to resync all my emails again?

Let me know if you need me to post the entire alert email from google.

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 2:55 PM

If you change the password or the password protocol in any mail account be it on Mac or phone the only sure fire way to get it up and running on the client is to delete the account and add back.

What happened last time you changed an email password?

2020? Oauth2 has already happened surely on Google since Mojave?

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2019 2:55 PM in response to Matty Chang

If you change the password or the password protocol in any mail account be it on Mac or phone the only sure fire way to get it up and running on the client is to delete the account and add back.

What happened last time you changed an email password?

2020? Oauth2 has already happened surely on Google since Mojave?

Dec 16, 2019 3:25 PM in response to Matty Chang

By the way, with that huge number of emails I presume many of them are very old or even archived. You should really hide all but the most relevant from IMAP so that they don't need to sync in your clients.

Something like this

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-hide-folders-and-labels-in-gmail-imap-1172090

If you need to, you can access the old ones in Gmail in a browser.

And if they are work related surely you can sync them in the work environment with a better internet speed?

OAuth and Gmail in iOS, MacOS eta al.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.