Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro running hotter than it used to, and I can't figure out what changed

I had a 2014 MBPr 15" for about 5 years, and bought iStat Menus on about the first day. I've always kept an eye on the CPU temp. That laptop usually ran in the high-90's (degF) during normal, web-browsing use.

I upgraded to a 2019 MBP 15" a few months ago, and worried about the thermal issues. This machine has usually run just a little over 100 degF. Like, 102-104. I've been extremely satisfied that Apple had solved the "thermal issues" with the first version of the TouchBar MBP's in this, updated version.

However, something has happened in the past couple of weeks. Now this machine NEVER runs cooler than 130F, and right now, with just Safari open on this site, typing this in, it's bouncing around between 145-165F.

Yes, I've reset the SMC. No effect.

The only thing I consistently see in the activity monitor (besides Safari) is WindowServer. I don't ever remember this being a thing there. I'm almost always in clamshell mode, connected to a 4K monitor via a Thunderbolt/USB-C cable. None of this has changed for 6 years, so it can't be the problem, but I note it for completeness.

I have the Vega 20 video option. It's my understanding that, on power, it should be running all the time. There's literally no reason that a card like that should be straining just doing simple web browsing.

After lunch, today, the computer should have been asleep and stone cold. But it was warm to the touch when I woke it up, and it was running at 170F. There was nothing running at the top of the activity monitor that would give me pause.

Has something changed recently in the OS? I can't account for this, and it's REALLY bothering me. There doesn't seem to be any reason for this change, and I'm tired of hearing the fans run already.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 6:31 PM

FYI, please post the temperatures in Celcius. Almost every review, benchmark, specifications, etc. list the temps in Celcius.

I haven't used a 2019 MBPro yet, but I have used the 2016 & 2017 models (mostly 13" ones, but a few 15" models as well). When I've checked the temperatures for these systems, it is not uncommon to see them run hot (anywhere from 60C to 100C). The fans adjust to keep the laptop within this range during normal use and if this is not enough I believe the CPU may be throttled for a moment until the temps get back to this level.

If I'm converting the temps correctly (doing the math in my head) they all seem to be well within the normal operating range I've seen for the 2016 & 2017 models.

These laptops contain a high end Intel CPU which naturally run hot which is installed into a very thin laptop where keeping the CPU cool is difficult. The newer laptops will run hotter than the older laptops from 2015 and earlier. If you look carefully at the CPU temps, then you will notice just about any activity will ramp up at least one CPU core very quickly even doing the most mundane things.

Keep in mind macOS now has PowerNap and other settings which may wake the laptop while it is supposed to be sleeping. You may want to review your Energy Saver System Preferences settings.

As long as the Apple Diagnostics do not report any cooling system issues, then your laptop is working properly and you will need to investigate possible software issues or system preferences issues.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2019 6:31 PM in response to TheOriginalDunkirk

FYI, please post the temperatures in Celcius. Almost every review, benchmark, specifications, etc. list the temps in Celcius.

I haven't used a 2019 MBPro yet, but I have used the 2016 & 2017 models (mostly 13" ones, but a few 15" models as well). When I've checked the temperatures for these systems, it is not uncommon to see them run hot (anywhere from 60C to 100C). The fans adjust to keep the laptop within this range during normal use and if this is not enough I believe the CPU may be throttled for a moment until the temps get back to this level.

If I'm converting the temps correctly (doing the math in my head) they all seem to be well within the normal operating range I've seen for the 2016 & 2017 models.

These laptops contain a high end Intel CPU which naturally run hot which is installed into a very thin laptop where keeping the CPU cool is difficult. The newer laptops will run hotter than the older laptops from 2015 and earlier. If you look carefully at the CPU temps, then you will notice just about any activity will ramp up at least one CPU core very quickly even doing the most mundane things.

Keep in mind macOS now has PowerNap and other settings which may wake the laptop while it is supposed to be sleeping. You may want to review your Energy Saver System Preferences settings.

As long as the Apple Diagnostics do not report any cooling system issues, then your laptop is working properly and you will need to investigate possible software issues or system preferences issues.

MacBook Pro running hotter than it used to, and I can't figure out what changed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.