Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV sound not working

Right so I have tried literally everything I can think of to get this working and still nada.

The sound isn't working out of my Apple TV into our television - the problem that I'm seeing is that there is no options coming up in the Audio Output section in the Apple TV settings menu.

I've tested the television to make sure it's not a fault with the television but the sound works fine when plugged in to my laptop so it's definitely an Apple TV issue (both use the HDMI port and that's with any of the 3 HDMI ports on the television and 2 different HDMI cables).

I've been googling and can't find anything to point me in the right direction of the issue.

It was working fine yesterday and then this morning the sound was gone so after trying everything the only thing I can think that may have happened is that the Apple TV automatically updated overnight and there's something buggy with the software now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am going insane!

Apple TV (4th generation)

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 10:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 10:40 PM

Hello,

About the only other thing you can do at this point is to restore your Apple TV to factory settings.

Reset or restore your Apple TV to its factory settings - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Dec 17, 2019 1:27 AM in response to QuickPost

Unfortunately that is already one of the options I've tried and it still didn't work - I've tried connecting my Apple TV to our bluetooth speaker and it will play sound through that, but it won't play sound via the HDMI connection to the television, even though the image is coming though fine. My thoughts are that there must be something wrong with the HDMI connection capability within the Apple TV because I've tested two different HDMI cables and all three HDMI ports on the television with another device and they all work fine. It's just the Apple TV that is giving me video only and no sound. But for the life of me I can't figure out what can have gone wrong between it working fine yesterday and not today.

Apple TV sound not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.