Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV4 TVoS 15.1.1 - Loss of sound

My Apple TV4 recently auto-updated to 15.1.1 and now the sound doesn't work on my speakers for my home cinema. Other hardware in the system still functions properly (Sky box, Blu-ray, even my old Apple TV2 still work fine). I've spoken to Apple support about it, we went through all the tests of switching HDMI cables and ports, off/on, trying different audio settings, trying different apps (iMovies, Amazon, YouTube), even a full reset but nothing solved it. oddly it will play sound when attached to my old Samsung TV, but not to the cinema speakers, so it appears to be some incompatibility introduced in the latest release. Since it works with the old TV the summary from Apple support was effectively "it's not our problem" but nothing else has changed, and it stopped working overnight. films still play, but just no sound. Is there any way to revert to an earlier version of the TVoS? or any other suggestions?

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 8:17 AM

After lots of head banging I found a solution to no audio that worked for me . It appears the issue is related to the way the hdmi audio is being de muxed.

First test is to move Apple TV to a direct hdmi input like a tv and see if you get audio. I did but when I fed the tos- link into my receiver it was silent. The tos -link in my case came from my 4x1 switch.

I then added a brand new audio exactor into the chain after my 5x1 switch but before my projector and then tos-link from it into my receiver. It’s a 4K/60 exactor so it’s all the latest audio codecs

I have sound !! I haven’t dug deep into if it’s fixed sync too but the fox football game was spot on . The extractor is a Kanex Pro 18g 4K . My guess is this all related to HDCP 2.2 but just a guess.

Good luck !

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2021 8:17 AM in response to dfried1

After lots of head banging I found a solution to no audio that worked for me . It appears the issue is related to the way the hdmi audio is being de muxed.

First test is to move Apple TV to a direct hdmi input like a tv and see if you get audio. I did but when I fed the tos- link into my receiver it was silent. The tos -link in my case came from my 4x1 switch.

I then added a brand new audio exactor into the chain after my 5x1 switch but before my projector and then tos-link from it into my receiver. It’s a 4K/60 exactor so it’s all the latest audio codecs

I have sound !! I haven’t dug deep into if it’s fixed sync too but the fox football game was spot on . The extractor is a Kanex Pro 18g 4K . My guess is this all related to HDCP 2.2 but just a guess.

Good luck !

Nov 16, 2021 7:43 PM in response to dfried1

Audio is still cutting out despite trying every bit of advice I’ve found here and elsewhere online:

• replaced my hdmi with a brand new ultra high speed cable direct from Apple
  • bought a new optical cable
  • tried every recommended combination of audio and video settings on the tv and the Apple device
  • installed a brand new audio extractor that met or exceeded all the specifications for hdmi, hdcp, etc.
  • rebooted, reset, unplugged, jumped up and down, turned around three times with my eyes closed, and held my breath

And STILL the problem persists. This has to be a problem with the latest OS.

Thanks, Apple!

Nov 10, 2021 7:08 PM in response to BarnardParker

I’m having a similar problem, sound cutting in and out. Only step I haven’t taken is a reset. Finally replaced the hdmi with a new high speed from Apple, but the problem persists when running audio through the Samsung hub to my amp via optical cable. So maybe the optical cable is failing? Or the hub? But it certainly doesn’t have anything to do with Apple TV OS update. Because Apple never releases shoddy software. Never. Right?

Nov 10, 2021 11:38 PM in response to dfried1

The person at Apple Support said there was no way for me to roll back the TVoS version on the Apple TV4. I don't know if it is theoretically possible for them to do it at an Apple Store or some other way. I'll ask again next time I speak to them. Meanwhile I'm using the old Apple TV 2 which still works fine using all the same hardware and cables as before.

Nov 12, 2021 9:13 AM in response to BarnardParker

I had escalated this through Apple and left a detailed message with this info , let’s see if it makes a difference.

I think the key here is HDCP 2.2 and Tos-link and the age of the decoder. My switch/ decoder is HDMi 2.0 444 4/60 but not sure about the HDCP ? So if you have an older extractor or switch that might be the problem. Why it suddenly changed ? Ask Apple

Nov 26, 2021 8:17 AM in response to dfried1

Problem solved - thanks to dfried1. I bought a new extractor, in my case this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YCZYRB3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as I couldn't find a Kanex on the UK Amazon store. I tried new cables first but they didn't seem to be the issue. Now sound is restored. Apple will doubtless be happy to refund me the cost?

Apple TV4 TVoS 15.1.1 - Loss of sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.