Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMAC Won't Shutdown

The only way I can get the computer to shut down is to first restart the computer and then go through the shutdown procedure. I've run disk first aid and reinstalled Catalina. But after a couple of days, the same issue reappears. Apple is telling me this may be a hardware issue, but I'm not convinced of this yet. Any thoughts?

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 8:21 AM

Reset the SMC, as per > How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Followed by a NVRAM reset, as per > Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Now if it is still not working correctly, > Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Next go to: Apple > System Preferences > Energy Saver and try unchecking the boxes including Power Nap.

If none of the above solve your problem, then it is very likely that you need to reinstall macOS

as per > How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2019 8:21 AM in response to trpc3

Reset the SMC, as per > How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Followed by a NVRAM reset, as per > Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Now if it is still not working correctly, > Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Next go to: Apple > System Preferences > Energy Saver and try unchecking the boxes including Power Nap.

If none of the above solve your problem, then it is very likely that you need to reinstall macOS

as per > How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

IMAC Won't Shutdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.