Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problems with shutting down catalina on iMac late 2013

ever since installing catalina (a couple months after it came out) I am having problems with shutting down the computer - there always needs to be a restart before it shuts down completely.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 26, 2020 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2020 1:14 PM

Thanks for replying, I hope Apple Support helped straighten things out. To clarify though, at the end of the day when attempting to shut down the computer for the night, the computer would be terribly slow in shutting down - like 5 minutes or so. Then it would restart itself without me asking it to, and a message would come up saying something like "you attempted to shut down your computer and there was a problem. Send a report to Apple?"

I called Apple Support after posting my question, and the technician had me restart in safe mode and that seemed to resolve the problem. I'm hoping it remains that way. Martin, Apple's technician, suggested that safe mode goes further into resolving issues than disk utility. I'm so pleased with the quality of service I get from Apple Support.

Anyway, its shutting down again without doing a restart so I'm happy. Thanks for responding to my inquiry.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2020 1:14 PM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

Thanks for replying, I hope Apple Support helped straighten things out. To clarify though, at the end of the day when attempting to shut down the computer for the night, the computer would be terribly slow in shutting down - like 5 minutes or so. Then it would restart itself without me asking it to, and a message would come up saying something like "you attempted to shut down your computer and there was a problem. Send a report to Apple?"

I called Apple Support after posting my question, and the technician had me restart in safe mode and that seemed to resolve the problem. I'm hoping it remains that way. Martin, Apple's technician, suggested that safe mode goes further into resolving issues than disk utility. I'm so pleased with the quality of service I get from Apple Support.

Anyway, its shutting down again without doing a restart so I'm happy. Thanks for responding to my inquiry.

problems with shutting down catalina on iMac late 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.