Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete items from Recent Folder.

I have items in my Recent Folder dating back to Jan 2018. Can I delete them without deleting the original document, etc. IMAC OS Catalina

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 12:33 AM

As has been said already, the user has no control over what appears in the Recents.

If you want that kind of control it is easy to create your own Smart Folder, where you decide the criteria. Keep these smart folders in the Sidebar and use them as you see fit. You can have several, like pdf files created in the past week, or all documents in the last month, or... the possibilities are endless, and it is all up to you.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2019 12:33 AM in response to KC5292

As has been said already, the user has no control over what appears in the Recents.

If you want that kind of control it is easy to create your own Smart Folder, where you decide the criteria. Keep these smart folders in the Sidebar and use them as you see fit. You can have several, like pdf files created in the past week, or all documents in the last month, or... the possibilities are endless, and it is all up to you.

Dec 19, 2019 1:04 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks to all of you for responding. I learned that when using the Apple icon that there is a Recent Items capability. Did not know that existed. Also learned that cannot delete items from the Recents Folder in Finder. If I understand the above correctly, I will start using the Recent items under Apple Icon and forget the other one. If I have to search thru 100 recent items I may as well just search for the original document. Thanx again for all your assistance.

KC Whaley

Delete items from Recent Folder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.