Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook Pro 16" mouse pointer intermittent freezes when having external monitor connected

Just finally upgraded from using an entry level macbook air 2013 and what an amazing machine. But there's one annoying problem with the new Macbook I don't know what do to about.

So when I have external monitors plugged in I get a mouse lag about every 3-5 seconds. The mouse pointer just freezes for maybe 100-200ms.

After checking the kernel logs it seems to correspond to this event:

/System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX6000Framebuffer.kext/Contents/MacOS/AMDRadeonX6000Framebuffer

[3:0:0] [HDCP:2] runEvent() !!! Action is stall currentTime: 52039607731903, nextTime: 52039807727419, crtc: 2!

Since this seems to be a kernel extension error, I guess there's not much I can do? And neither the apple store if I take it to them?

Well anyway, any advice is appreciated :)

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 2:24 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Dec 20, 2019 3:51 PM in response to kalle125

Hello kalle125,

I see that you're receiving some kernel extension errors on your Mac. I'd be happy to look into this with you.

Let's start by having you reset the NVRAM and then test to see if the issue remains. If needed, the article below will guide you through those steps.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Also, does the issue remain if you test in another user account?

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Let me know how this goes.

Jan 2, 2020 9:11 AM in response to kalle125

Cursor-position updating is a low priority task, and cursor lag is most often caused by too few spare CPU cycles to update the cursor position in the screen buffer. (Not by GPU problems in displaying the position.)

What does Activity Monitor say about your CPU usage? is it still in the single digits most of the time, or is something using far more?

Jan 7, 2020 7:27 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for your reply Grant Bennet-Alder. The CPU and GPU utilisation are within normal levels around 2-15%. I honestly think this problem is just a very unoptimised and buggy kernel extension from Apple.

This wouldn't be the first case either, many different versions of MacOS have had issues with external monitors.

Unfortunately I think this is just another external monitor issue I'll have to wait 1-2 years before Apple releases a fix(knowing how long it have took before).

And as well, clean install or PRAM/NVRAM resets of the hardware has unfortunately not helped the issue. Neither has different monitors and adapters.

New MacBook Pro 16" mouse pointer intermittent freezes when having external monitor connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.