Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

word document won't open on pages

I used to be able to open Word files attached to emails in the Microsoft Word app on my iPad. Something has changed after the latest iOS 13.3 update. I can now only see them in the viewer. Same is true for Excel and PowerPoint files. Also have the same problem on my iPhone 7 Plus.

Anyone have a solution?

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 4:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 7:08 PM

Okay, but according to the screenshot that you provided, you are doing this after you opened the file, then hit share, then More. Try opening the mail message, then instead of opening the document by just tapping on it, press and hold for the attachment to open. That should open it in a smaller screen, then you should see Quick Look, Share, and Copy in the lower left corner. Tap share there, then once the second screen comes up swipe to the left until you see More again, and tap on it there. That seems to bring up a set of app suggestions. I was able to duplicate the error you reported that hitting More the other way closed the mail message. It could be a bug, but I would go to Feedback - iPhone - Apple and report that to Apple.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2019 7:08 PM in response to Applecrazyness

Okay, but according to the screenshot that you provided, you are doing this after you opened the file, then hit share, then More. Try opening the mail message, then instead of opening the document by just tapping on it, press and hold for the attachment to open. That should open it in a smaller screen, then you should see Quick Look, Share, and Copy in the lower left corner. Tap share there, then once the second screen comes up swipe to the left until you see More again, and tap on it there. That seems to bring up a set of app suggestions. I was able to duplicate the error you reported that hitting More the other way closed the mail message. It could be a bug, but I would go to Feedback - iPhone - Apple and report that to Apple.

Dec 18, 2019 11:33 AM in response to Applecrazyness

Exactly how are you trying to open it in Pages? When you open an attachment in Mail, it would open in Viewer, then you should also be able to save the file on the iPhone and use Pages to open it. I have Pages and Microsoft Word apps on my iPhone, and when I receive a Word document in an email, it opens in Viewer all the time. I have to save it to open it elsewhere.

Dec 18, 2019 11:44 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

it used to give me the option to open directly with pages ... not anymore. Now I guess I'm forced to save it in google drive or Files and then try it from there... but as I said before. I used to open an attachment in preview, then I will open it straight with pages, no need to save it in other source of any kind.. the app would automatically converted to pages document.

word document won't open on pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.