Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari will not die

Safari suddenly stopped opening on my Macbook Pro. I noticed it appeared in the "Force Quit" window and tried to quit from there, and nothing happened - it stayed in the window. I tried multiple other means of force quitting, to include killing every process with the word "safari" in it from the terminal window. Still Safari remained in the "Force Quit" window, and the app will not open. There is no need for an update indicated in the App store - any suggestions? Running 10.14.6

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: 203.0.0.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.45f0

Serial Number (system): C0****TDD

Hardware UUID: ****

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 12:20 PM

Did you try shutting down the machine, waiting 30 seconds, then restarting the system. In some cases there can be stray processes lying around that can confuse the system. This sometimes clears them up.

Other options are

Open in safe mode (Hold down shift key while starting computer)

(For the more adventurous) Go into Activity Monitor and click on the CPU tab. Order the list by process name by clicking on the top of the column. If you see a strange Safari process, you can kill it by double-clicking on the line and following instructions. You can also sort by %CPU. If you see anything with 99% or higher CPU that seems to last forever, you may want to also kill that process.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2019 12:20 PM in response to alfromrochester

Did you try shutting down the machine, waiting 30 seconds, then restarting the system. In some cases there can be stray processes lying around that can confuse the system. This sometimes clears them up.

Other options are

Open in safe mode (Hold down shift key while starting computer)

(For the more adventurous) Go into Activity Monitor and click on the CPU tab. Order the list by process name by clicking on the top of the column. If you see a strange Safari process, you can kill it by double-clicking on the line and following instructions. You can also sort by %CPU. If you see anything with 99% or higher CPU that seems to last forever, you may want to also kill that process.

Safari will not die

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.