Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari hangs on open then crashes.

Hello, Brilliant People!

Safari will not open -I get the beachball and then it crashes before a window even opens. After first 5 crashes (yes, I’m ever hopeful) I finally thought to check for updates and updated to 12.3.1. That was the only update available - checked all my apps for updates - good there. 

I have no Safari extensions installed at all.

I used it last night with no trouble, but when tried to start work this morning… this. I’m using Chrome for now and let me just say I’m glad I’m paid by the hour.  

I’ve attached the latest report and the info about my machine.  

Any help/advice will be appreciated.

Here’s the info about my machine: 

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1

Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 6

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 12 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

System Firmware Version: 1731.100.130.0.0 (iBridge: 19.16.14243.0.0,0)

OS Loader Version: 540.100.7~23

SAFARI REPORT can be found in "Additional Text" –– which seems to be an attachment. :)

Thank your so very much for your time and sharing your knowledge.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 9:00 AM

Hi suzelizabeth,

Thanks for contacting Apple Support Communities!

We understand that you're unable to open Safari and you don't have any extensions installed.

You've done a great job troubleshooting so far! Check out the additional troubleshooting steps outlined here to help isolate this behavior further: If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2022 9:00 AM in response to suzelizabeth

Hi suzelizabeth,

Thanks for contacting Apple Support Communities!

We understand that you're unable to open Safari and you don't have any extensions installed.

You've done a great job troubleshooting so far! Check out the additional troubleshooting steps outlined here to help isolate this behavior further: If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Apr 6, 2022 10:29 AM in response to Miche11e_P

Thank you for your reply, @Michelle_P - I am truly grateful.

For the good of anyone who finds this thread later:

I tried the troubleshooting guide linked above before I came here looking for help. I also searched the support articles and community questions here before I asked my own question.

In my case, nothing was helpful.

• I could not take any action with Safari – when opened, it hung immediately, spinning beachball, and then crashed within 2-3 seconds - I could not get to an any window. -Incognito or otherwise
  • Other browsers worked perfectly well, so the connection was fine,
  • I use no extensions,
  • I was unable to reload a page as I could not get a page at all,
  • I updated the OS, no apps needed updating

HOWEVER, it has resolved. This is what happened -for what it's worth.:

I created a new Admin account on my MacBook Pro. Safari worked fine on that account.

I was setting things up for mysefl on the new account and needed to get a password from a note on the other account. When I logged in to the original account, Safari fired up on its own (it is not set up to open on login) and loaded the 4 or 5 pages that were open before the problem started. Now it seems fine.

Can't say that setting up the new account caused the fix, but it did happen right after. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Again, I appreciate Michelle P and this community. I learn so much here!

Cheers!

SuzElizabeth

Safari hangs on open then crashes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.