Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail Quits in Catalina on opening due to bad address in outbox

I stupidly used a reply form that purported to stop spam. The email address it used apparently is a malformed address that causes Apple Mac Mail to immediately stop. I have tried to restart mail repeatedly with and without the shift key depressed. Every time Mail restarts it immediately goes to the malformed item in the Outbox and then shuts down. See the following error message I am getting after each shutdown.

I am running the most recent version of Catalina (10.15.2).

My MacBook Pro is a 15" 2017 Model, with a 2.9 GHz QuadCore Intel Core i7

It has 16GB of 2133 MHz LPDDR

and Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

See the attached error message I am getting after each shutdown.

Any Help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2019 7:16 PM

Sorry the Error Report was larger than the Forum allows to post even as an "Additional File". I managed to fix this eventually by deleting all my email accounts and reinstalling them which finally deleted the malformed message stuck in my outbox. For others who may have the same problems you have to delete the email accounts from System Preferences and then Internet Accounts.

Or better yet don't get in a rush and stupidly hit a reply button in Spam in the first place and crap up your email application. Thanks for looking at issue though, and sorry again I could not include the Error Report. And btw I am a 40+ Year experienced IT person and really, really know better ;)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2019 7:16 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Sorry the Error Report was larger than the Forum allows to post even as an "Additional File". I managed to fix this eventually by deleting all my email accounts and reinstalling them which finally deleted the malformed message stuck in my outbox. For others who may have the same problems you have to delete the email accounts from System Preferences and then Internet Accounts.

Or better yet don't get in a rush and stupidly hit a reply button in Spam in the first place and crap up your email application. Thanks for looking at issue though, and sorry again I could not include the Error Report. And btw I am a 40+ Year experienced IT person and really, really know better ;)

Dec 21, 2019 7:46 AM in response to GranvilleA

You may not need to, but one app supported by the community is the free version of Malwarebytes. It can be run once to detect if any annoying malware was gifted to you by the active spam.

After the scan use Malwarebytes's help menu to uninstall it.

(Never run it or any other security product in the background - this stated for other readers)

Apple Mail Quits in Catalina on opening due to bad address in outbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.